Acro

Identify These Tools!

I'm trying to attempt new tings, and with new things one needs new tools!  I recently acquired these used tools and I'd like to know what they are.  If I can just get an ID, I'll go search info about them, so no need to describe what they do, unless you've got time on your hands.  :)

Please check out the photos below:

Buckles and friends.

IMG_4658.JPG.ab1259aa27577d571874128de4d55cfd.JPG

These look new, or hardly used. What's the wood block for?

IMG_4671.JPG.8af9b379eb89d3fd7c1dfb7ea54a1587.JPG

The rod on top has pointy ends. Tool below it is made of plastic.  Brush is hard.

IMG_4670.JPG.d4a7bc95b33cce4a3cb055f6dd56f55d.JPG

Flat view.

IMG_4660.JPG.95b555471ce93b74437b2685d2be07cc.JPG

Standing.

IMG_4662.JPG.e8a43580e0b7c272cd8ef5523f3ee1de.JPG

Side view (last one is an xacto knife, pretty sure of that).

IMG_4665.JPG.ba48a8f72c082ec9cf8371e9d284eb80.JPG

Top view.

IMG_4666.JPG.40ab8826641f313ae36bf6455f80c46b.JPG

Please let me know what you think!  :D

Parts 1  ,  2  ,  3,  and 4    are  pop studs   or dura dots    These are used as closer on things like jackets, wallets bags etc.  You will have used these many times .    Parts 5 and 6  are two part rivets.  This is a rivet to hold things together.  The brass things are used on tarpaulins and sails I have never used them.  Someone else on this will tell you better than I can. 

Inkedleather 1save.jpg

This wont let me upload anymore pictures.  I will try describe.  Your third picture ,,,,,,,,,,The rod on top has pointy ends. Tool below it is made of plastic.  Brush is hard. ...... The plastic thing is a bone folder. The thing with the wooden handle is a skirt shave or also called a French shave.  I think I have a video showing you how to use and sharpen.  Look on youtube   for UKSaddlery

The thing with the sponge is for dipping in stain and staining edges. The last thing looks like a hacksaw blade.  Ih it is .  I use them to make blades for my clicker knife

Your next two pictures  titled  flat and standing.  These are the tools used to set your dura dots. pop studs and your 2 part rivets

Edited by gmace99

1 hour ago, Acro said:

I'm trying to attempt new tings, and with new things one needs new tools!  I recently acquired these used tools and I'd like to know what they are.  If I can just get an ID, I'll go search info about them, so no need to describe what they do, unless you've got time on your hands.  :)

Please check out the photos below:

Buckles and friends.

Earlier poster identified the hardware. 

These look new, or hardly used. What's the wood block for?

IMG_4671.JPG.8af9b379eb89d3fd7c1dfb7ea54a1587.JPG

A swivel knife with 4 different blades (3 straight blades of different sizes, and one angular blade). I have never seen them in a set like that, but the bag behind them dates the set back to over 30 years ago. 
You can search this leatherworker forum for discussions about how to sharpen and then use swivel knives to cut lines in leather. I don't know enough about the details to explain the uses between the different sizes of blades. 
The block of wood...? It has nothing to do with the swivel knife.  It looks like somebody used it as a base while using a punch to make holes in leather. 

The rod on top has pointy ends. Tool below it is made of plastic.  Brush is hard.

IMG_4670.JPG.d4a7bc95b33cce4a3cb055f6dd56f55d.JPG

From top to bottom:

1) top rod -- unknown use. 
2) The white plastic tool is a 2 part tool. The left end (the semi-circle) can detach; That bit is an edge burnisher with slots of difference sizes. The rest of it is an edge slicker or a folder (used to rub leather where it has been folded to create a crisper edge).
3) a French edge skiver, used to skive a set width of leather. (see https://www.tandyleather.com/en/product/craftool-french-edge-skiving-tool)
4) unknown 
5) An old dauber, used to spread liquids (dye, waterproofing, etc.) onto things. It looks all dried out and useless. 
6) part of a hacksaw blade. How it might be used for leather...? 
7) tube bent into a ring - unknown

Flat view.

IMG_4660.JPG.95b555471ce93b74437b2685d2be07cc.JPG

From left to right:

1 to 3 = different snap setters, for different parts of the snap. Used with the flat "anvil" bar to the right-- the "holes" in the anvil bar are meant to fit over projecting bits of the snaps.
4 = a rivet setter, used to keep the 2 part rivets (from the 1st photo) round. It's used with the "anvil" bar-- one half of the 2 part rivet rests in that dished depression (the bottom half with the longer shank), then the leather pieces with a hole is placed over the rivet shank, and then the other half of the two part rivet (the "head") is placed over the shank. Use this rivet setter and a mallet to strike the head and set the rivet.
5= multi use "anvil" (this is an older tool, part of a set. I've got one of these! The newer ones are different.)

6 = grommet setter; 7 and 8 = grommet anvils used with setter. (see https://www.tandyleather.com/en/product/grommet-setters-with-anvils for newer versions of these tools)

Top view.

IMG_4666.JPG.40ab8826641f313ae36bf6455f80c46b.JPG

From left to right:

1) domed rivet setter, I think, used with domed rivets (none of the correct rivets appear in your first photograph). (see https://www.tandyleather.com/en/search/?sSearch=domed rivet setter for domed rivets and newer setters)

2) I don't know what that is. I couldn't tell from the side view, either.

3) A camouflage tool (see https://www.tandyleather.com/en/category/camouflage-leather-stamps) used for tooling designs. 

4) A basket weave stamp (see https://www.tandyleather.com/en/product/x511-craftool-basketweave-stamp).

5) a lacing chisel (an old tool; not available at Tandy anymore, but used like this-- see <www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qp50Nxk4Mzw>)

6) an Xacto knife. You probably can figure out how to use that! It likely needs sharpening, however. 

You've got yourself a set of common Tandy-grade leather tools from 30 years back or so! 

The rod could be a "threader rod" ( used to pass the thread down the inside of needle bar ) of  a 29K or similar machine.

On 7/10/2017 at 0:37 AM, DJole said:

2) A single tooth lacing chisel to match the 4 toothed one. (for making holes around corners)

3 hours ago, KingsCountyLeather said:

2) A single tooth lacing chisel to match the 4 toothed one. (for making holes around corners)

Oh yes, of course! Now I see it!  The parallax and reflections threw me off. 
Good eye, there!

French chalk stick...use for marking.

Tools.JPG

Engineers French Chalk (also known as Welder's Chalk and Soapstone) is mainly used for marking Metal & Steel with a clear, wax-like mark. For general layout marking in a wide variety of applications from marking tailor's seams and weld marking on sheet materials in fabrication industries.

I have used it extensively to mark metal work projects - not sure how it would work on leather...