A friend stopped by the other day, needed a belt.

This will be the one he gets tomorrow at church.

He's helping me refinish an old clawfoot table, . . . so this is "payback".

May God bless,

Dwight

lazy stitch belt 1.JPG

lazy stitch belt 2.JPG

Very nice ! I like that color.

How maniacal your payback is... :evillaugh:

But really, good looking belt. Do you have a template to lay out the gunslinger stitching?

Really nice job!

Thanks folks for the good words, . . . and, . . . yes, Stetson, I do use a template. 

There are probably easier ways to do this, . . . but basically I've got a piece of leather with a copy of the oval on it, . . . with holes punched where the lines intersect.  That piece of leather is the exact width of the belt as well.

I measure out how many ovals I'll need for "this" belt, . . . divide the oval length into it, . . . center it on the belt blank, . . . and start marking it on the belt using the two punched holes as my reference points, . . .  using a pair of dividers that are set at the width of the holes in the leather template.

I then use a freehand stitch gouger to mark where the stitches go, . . . using a wooden template I made.

Takes longer to lay it out than to stitch it.

May God bless,

Dwight

Edited by Dwight

I always assumed that everyone that did the decorative stitching used a machine, now that I know your method, I think I'll try one. I handstitch only, so haven't taken the plunge. The edge stitching has always been more than enough for me!

Thanks for the tip.

Very nice and yes you inspire me to try the decorative stiches as well....

Now, see what you've done, Dwight!?

Thanks Dwight. Just out of curiosity I got to looking around. Black River laser actually offers an acrylic template for this. Just so people know. They actually have two templates that are a bit different. One is $25 and the other $33. 

But if you're cheap/broke like me you may just do like Dwight did hahaha!

That looks beautiful @Dwight. But I noticed that you have your Chicago screws with the slot on the inside. I read that you shouldn't have the slot where it would rub against clothing. Is that just paranoia, or not?

It's paranoia in my book.

Been doing this for quite some time, . . . have never had a complaint yet, . . . course there is a first time for everything.

Besides that, . . . the slot on the outside is some kind of ugly in my personal opinion.

May God bless,

Dwight

3 hours ago, CaptQuirk said:

That looks beautiful @Dwight. But I noticed that you have your Chicago screws with the slot on the inside. I read that you shouldn't have the slot where it would rub against clothing. Is that just paranoia, or not?

I've been using these Chicago screws on a lot of belts over the last 20 years and that is many thousands of belts. I have never had any negative feedback on the use of them other than over the years some have come unscrewed. I make a point to be careful not to burr the screw head when doing up.

BTW that is a nice and very durable belt you've made there Dwight. :thumbsup:

Thanks, RockyAussie , I don't usually "fancy up" a project, . . . but this was one of those that just begged the lazy stitch.

Never knew why, . . . but auctioneers in this part of the country seem partial to cowboy hats, boots, and stitched belts.  The guy getting the belt hangs around with a buddy who fills in as a substitute auctioneer sometimes.

Gene will get to wear on him about having a real "auctioneer's belt" for a while, . . . and just knowing it will happen makes all the work worth while, . . . and of course, Gene's a good friend as well.

That is pretty much the only belt I make, . . . double layer, . . . anywhere from 4 to 5 1/2 mm thick, . . . depending on the service and the length.  I quit single layer belts a long time ago.

May God bless,

Dwight

Very nice belt, Dwight. Fine work (as usual). I like the tan color as well...even though it can be a booger for me (at times) to get right...sure is worth the effort, especially with that contrasting stitching.

Very nicely done!

Superb job.