Sign in to follow this  
KellyBadge

Narrow (¼ inch crown) Stapler Pliers with Anvil wanted

I need help finding stapler which takes narrow staples and has a narrow anvil to close the staples.

The attached images show the job I'm trying to do.  This is the chinstrap of a British Army officer's peaked (visor) cap.  It is made from patent leather and is ½ inch wide.  It has pull-tags to adjust the size of the chin-strap - these are attached using staples.

The crown of the staple is comparatively narrow (the 'crown' is the distance between the points and this is ¼ inch).  This is a 'flat crown' staple.  This width of staple tends to be made for pneumatic staple guns without an anvil (typically used for upholstery). 
The tool needs to have a receiver anvil to bend and close the staples within the leather loop.  The anvil needs to be no wider than ½ inch (i.e. the width of the chinstrap).

I've seen some sword-point stapler pliers, which is the type of tool that I have in mind, but they seem to use wider staples.

Can you suggest a make, brand or supplier for this type of stapler.  I am in the UK.

IMG_7803.jpg

IMG_7805.jpg

IMG_7806.jpg

Sword-Point Stapler Pliers.jpg

You may try a flooring wholesaler. Here in the states a company called PFS (professional flooring supply) carries similar staplers for rug binding. 

Good luck.

Have a look at this site.

http://www.arrowstaples.co.uk/arrow-staples/arrow-plier-type-staple-gun/arrow-p22-plier-type-stapler.html

Tandy UK also carry that type of stapler but would cost you a lot more.

There are other ways you can do this using zip bottom stops just get a narrow piece of steel and use that as a anvil

tap down with a tack hammer or cheap pair of jeweller pliers so you won't damage the zip bottom stop.

You will have to pierce the leather first with your awl to make hole for the zip bottom stop

Tandy carry zip bottom stops. 

hope this helps

JCUK

Edited by jcuk

KELLY, Im interested in your project and knowing weather or not you found a stapler.  contact me if you like apcogear@msndotcom