ewayne53

Cross draw sheath for Case Marlin Spike knife

I received a Case Marlin Spike knife (picture attached) as a Christmas gift from my team almost 20 years ago. I've looked for a sheath to carry it in but couldn't find anything. So now I'm a beginner leather worker and my first project is to make a cross draw sheath for my knife like the one in the attached picture. Unfortunately I don't know the dimensions. I've watched number videos on how to make one but no one ever gives sizes. I need to know how wide to make it overall and how far apart to leave the inner stitches so the knife slides in snug. Is there a pattern I can go by and make adjustments to fit my own need?

Thanks in advance for your help!

59da88a62d21c_CaseMarlinSpike.JPG.2a0efee906aa32645f3b7fed314b3ca6.JPG59da889d67345_CrossDraw.thumb.JPG.69a4097c04177087fb95eb48d563f9b3.JPG

Edited by ewayne53

I'm sure there is a pattern out there for a similar pocket knife but this would be easy enough for you to make your own pattern.

just put the knife on a piece of paper and outline it then add 3/4 the thickness of the knife and there is your inside dimensions.

next figure out the cant that you want and draw around it for belt loops.

make one out of cardboard if you don't have any extra leather to play with.

Best bet is to get the Al Stohlman making cases vol. 1. There a 3 books in all and worth getting if you plan on making more than one thing. They are dated as to style but the way and mechanics are solid and will serve you in making many different items. 

I have the book but unfortunately it doesn't do me much good for this application. My next project is a wet molded case for it but I wanted to try my hand at the basket weave first.

DPMqulion - By adding 3/4 thickness do you mean width left to right? I have everything drawn up but had to make the distance wider between pouch stitches.

If you haven't started yet, when you make your pattern, make the back piece higher where the knife will be sitting. It won't interfere with taking the knife out, but your side will thank you every time you move

Here's what I have sketched out. I made it bigger simple because I thought it was to small. But now from what I'm reading I'm wondering if the stitch box is still too small. The bottom looks fine but the top looks narrow, however it would probably form okay around the knife. And the knife is 17/32 thick.

What do you think?

Img_4606 1.jpg

Edited by ewayne53

As per Halitech's tip, the back piece should be as high as the upper end of the knife, to protect your shirt, skin etc.. Other than that, it looks pretty good to me!

A marlinspike knife is heavy for it's size, with the wide blade and marlinspike, so it should fit fairly tight to keep it from bouncing out. When is the last time you actually used a marlinspike? It's been a few decades for me! I used to have that knife, but haven't seen it for...well, decades. 

I thought at the angle of the knife I wouldn't need a back piece but I see your point. I use to sail a 25' Catalina so I used it some but not a lot. We use to take it out on Friday afternoon and not touch land again till Sunday night. But then grand kids came along and I moved so my boating days I ended up selling it. The knife was a gift from my team at work and I could never find a sheath for it so I'm going to make one for it.

Edited by ewayne53

I saw some mistakes I made in my first attempt so I decided to make another one and I am much more pleased with this one. So here is my final product. 

Img_5098 m.jpg

Very nice! Thanks for sharing the pic.

18 hours ago, ewayne53 said:

I saw some mistakes I made in my first attempt so I decided to make another one and I am much more pleased with this one.imageproxy.php?img=&key=81964be983ea98b5imageproxy.php?img=&key=81964be983ea98b5 So here is my final product. 

Img_5098 m.jpg

That looks great for an early effort. Love the color too.

Yea I'm struggling but hopefully I'll get there some day! I'm a much better woodworker than leather worker.

Edited by ewayne53