Well, #nstarleather tempted me with some beautiful olive H.A.A.S tumbled calf, so decided to make a travel bag, roughly around 11 x 9 x 16 inches. Using 3mm KS blade stitching irons (treated myself!), and 0.6mm Tiger thread / lin cable 532 thread. Zipper is 6mm RiRi from Pacific Trimming. Will post photos as I go; this is my first time trying out the decorative bottom stitching, padded handles with geometric shaped ends and stitching with linen thread....my usual helpers love to get involved as well :) 

IMG_0297.JPG

IMG_0298.JPG

IMG_0300.JPG

IMG_0299.JPG

Hehe, epicness awaits!

Very nice looking work so far as usual. I am a bit curious whether you have put a stiffener into the base this time or not? Normally if I am putting feet on I insert a stiffener to stop the feet just pushing up into the leather. Thanks for posting the pics. Brian

Fantastic work I am thinking of doing a bag myself but as I have only really made dog collars I am really stuck on ideas tbh

1 hour ago, the gafer said:

Fantastic work I am thinking of doing a bag myself but as I have only really made dog collars I am really stuck on ideas tbh

Maybe a top and bottom on a dog collar which then become front and back........:dunno::P

22 hours ago, Stetson912 said:

Hehe, epicness awaits!

Why thank ya! :rolleyes:

19 hours ago, RockyAussie said:

Very nice looking work so far as usual. I am a bit curious whether you have put a stiffener into the base this time or not? Normally if I am putting feet on I insert a stiffener to stop the feet just pushing up into the leather. Thanks for posting the pics. Brian

Thank you! Great question - at the moment, just a second layer of the same leather inside on the base, so that it gave a soft, slightly padded look to the bottom stitching. I was going to then do a stiffener out of thin plastic cutting mat inside as well, but wasn't sure if I should put the feet through that stiffener or not? As I think it through, since I'm lining this bag with a soft cotton denim, I won't see the stiffener so might make sense to put the feet through to give added support.... :huh:

5 hours ago, the gafer said:

Thanks! 

3 hours ago, RockyAussie said:

Maybe a top and bottom on a dog collar which then become front and back........:dunno::P

I'm with @RockyAussie on that one! Or you could do a simple bag and make the straps out of dog collars :)

2 minutes ago, motocouture said:

Thank you! Great question - at the moment, just a second layer of the same leather inside on the base, so that it gave a soft, slightly padded look to the bottom stitching. I was going to then do a stiffener out of thin plastic cutting mat inside as well, but wasn't sure if I should put the feet through that stiffener or not? As I think it through, since I'm lining this bag with a soft cotton denim, I won't see the stiffener so might make sense to put the feet through to give added support.... :huh:

I would put the feet through as whether the are fold aside prongs or screw through or even the hammer in type they all will sit better if they have something to support them on the side edge. That will stop them bending over in the hole etc. Most types allow for a fair bit of thickness. TBH I hate the bloody metal ones caus if you ever had a shp with glass counters it is a supper PITB when some come in and slap them down like nothin or no one is more important than them. That is why I like to cover a lot of mine over one way or another. Brian

9 minutes ago, RockyAussie said:

I would put the feet through as whether the are fold aside prongs or screw through or even the hammer in type they all will sit better if they have something to support them on the side edge. That will stop them bending over in the hole etc. Most types allow for a fair bit of thickness. TBH I hate the bloody metal ones caus if you ever had a shp with glass counters it is a supper PITB when some come in and slap them down like nothin or no one is more important than them. That is why I like to cover a lot of mine over one way or another. Brian

Ahhh, good point. I'll definitely put them through the stiffener, then. 

Never thought about that with the metal feet on glass counters, shame that some people don't think about the potential damage :( 

Looks like you have a captive audience at your work table just as you do here, can't wait to see the evolution. 

I have to ask why your best friend that is watching you from the floor doesn't have a proper leather collar that you have made? 

10 hours ago, Vapor Beast said:

Looks like you have a captive audience at your work table just as you do here, can't wait to see the evolution. 

I have to ask why your best friend that is watching you from the floor doesn't have a proper leather collar that you have made? 

Thank you! Plan to get some decent time in at the bench this weekend...

That is an excellent question :huh: hmmmm, something to add to the project list - have never made a collar before

4 hours ago, motocouture said:

Thank you! Plan to get some decent time in at the bench this weekend...

That is an excellent question :huh: hmmmm, something to add to the project list - have never made a collar before

Just like a bag but cut out the front and back.... Ha ha :P Sorry just could not resist that one :wub:

7 hours ago, RockyAussie said:

Just like a bag but cut out the front and back.... Ha ha :P Sorry just could not resist that one :wub:

I got it now!!! Long gusset with no zip, and detachable handle! :thumbsup:

In the meantime, some more progress photos. I ended up using thin plastic cutting board as a liner, roughed up both sides before gluing, and used the posts of the feet pushed through the wrong way (from the outside in) as guides for the correct placement of the liner when gluing in place (since once Barge glue makes contact.....we all know how that goes). I’ve included the hardware detail in the photo (thanks @Buckleguy Supplier!) as well.

8F12D54E-C38D-46E5-9DD0-DBFB9DAC3D07.jpeg

6E794CE8-92A3-49DC-9FA4-295031D32EA1.jpeg

2AB88B07-B97B-438F-BF2C-2851C1E9D43A.jpeg

Most excellent :banana:

3 hours ago, RockyAussie said:

Most excellent :banana:

Thank ya!  Now onto the straps and my first go at edge painting :wacko:

Finally made it back to my bench after some business travel. Have started on the edging, and working on the small tabs for the zipper ends (respect for those who do watch bands - tiny things are hard!).  The gusset is two pieces, seamed in the middle, then the allowances folded back and top-stitched.

Didn’t want to glue the pieces for the first seam, so sprayed some 3M 45 spray adhesive on both sides of some card to make some impromptu double-sided tape to hold temporarily for punching and stitching. 

FEB2299F-0E99-418E-AB32-DD858DCA3E25.jpeg

7DE802B8-21A3-41DA-AEF0-6708C724E1F1.jpeg

EE2E7B2B-D2B3-4DD1-B5F5-174ECD389679.jpeg

39D9B293-FFB1-4C90-994A-96C5B68E3AD1.jpeg

How do you like the ks blade irons? I'm looking for a good set. I like that the teeth are replaceable. 

5 hours ago, Stetson912 said:

How do you like the ks blade irons? I'm looking for a good set. I like that the teeth are replaceable. 

I love them. Did a lot of research before getting them. My logic was that since each tooth is (I assume) tooled separately then inserted into the head, the actual spacing and slant is likely to be more accurate, with greater depth of cut. The cuts are super crisp and clean, very easy to extract the iron, and they are beautifully sharp. I’m already eyeing off their hole punch set ..... :rolleyes:

OK, You've got my interest up. What are those irons? I haven't seen that type before, and am desperately in need of something better.

@JD62 the company is called ks blade punch. They make hole punches and other tools as well as these irons. I think they have diamond chisels too but don't quote me on that. The unique benefit is that each tooth is made separately and inserted into the head of the tool individually. This allows you to polish and sharpen them (if need be) easier as well as replace any teeth that break or get damaged somehow. 

Obviously, a standard designed iron like the Blanchard's and such... Well they are very expensive and if you break a tooth you have to replace the entire tool. Not fun. Here's the website for is tool for further research... Or drooling... http://ksbladepunch.com/product/pricking-irons

Also, Nigel Armitage's I believe reviewed the ks blade irons as well.

9 hours ago, JD62 said:

OK, You've got my interest up. What are those irons? I haven't seen that type before, and am desperately in need of something better.

+1 for @Stetson912  Also stocked by RM Leather Supply (and probably others, this is just where I bought mine) https://www.rmleathersupply.com/collections/tools/products/ks-blade-punch-pricking-irons