Webicons

Original depth of 6 inch splitter blade

Hello All - Does anyone know the original depth of blades used on an American LS440 splitter (Landis 30).  

I just picked one up this weekend and it seems that the blade that came with the unit is just shy of 2 7/8" and barely touches the adjustment screws.  

I would like to get one fabricated locally out of treated O1 steel. 

Much appreciated! 

I just purchased a replacement blade from Pilgrim.  They are a bunch of knowledgeable folks there. Helpful and shipped the hollow ground blade the same day.  

They confirmed that the original depth of the blade to be >3 inches so it was about time I replaced it anyway. 

Ill use this as a template to make a hardened steel blade this way I’ll always have one ready to go. 

I may need a new blade for my Landis soon. Let me know how yours is. Did it come scary sharp?

On 10/9/2017 at 8:24 PM, thefanninator said:

I may need a new blade for my Landis soon. Let me know how yours is. Did it come scary sharp?

On a scale of 1-10 I would put it at 9 with 10 being scary sharp so that’s pretty good. 

Thing for American splitter owners to know is that the center hole is off and can’t be used with the new blades from Pilgrim unless modified.  Not a big deal but a little disappointing.  I was told that they were exactly the same.  

Just in case this question comes up in the future, the size of the replacement blade is 3 inches deep.

Edited by Webicons

Another thing you may notice is that the rest the blade bolts down to can stick out a bit further and less blade may hang over the back edge less than on a Landis 30.