Traya

How to achieve this two-tone finish?

Hello! I recently came across the work of La Geuse on DeviantArt and love her "gradient" esque finishes where the dye is darker on the edges. I used to achieve this affect on cosplay pieces before I started working with leather by applying a dark wash and wiping away, but I want to know how to get this finish using leather dye. I make armored corsets and a lot of heavy armor for SCA and would love to achieve a similar finish on my work. My confusion comes from if her finish is achieved by airbrushing on a darker color of dye on the edges (or thinning angelus paints to do this) OR if this is some form of antiquing. I am coming to leather from the cosplay world, and while my construction is pretty good I am looking to heavily improve my dyeing process. Thanks all!

Pictures are not mine, all credit to La Geuse on DeviantArt.

AQBo9Rc.jpg

xrf3JyC.jpg

dXuDqlC.jpg

Not airbrush..I already replied about that in another of this poster's thread
http://leatherworker.net/forum/topic/77673-how-to-achieve-this-two-tone-finish/?do=getNewComment
( at least two threads with the same post were made )..I know airbrush. Can be done with airbrush, but the effect is not quite the same around the dark edges ( unless the person using the airbrush isn't very good with one ), too "patchy"/ irregular / mottled.

Maybe a mod can merge the two threads ?