Josh Ashman

Summer Special Type Holster with Retention Screws

The title pretty much says it all. 8/9 HO for everything except the reinforcement piece which is 5/6. Fiebings cordovan dye diluted with iso alcohol, I forget the amounts buy likely 50/50 since I buy them both by the quart. Finished with 50/50 mix of Mop & Glo and water. 

The retention screws were something I'd been thinking about doing and could on this since it was a project for me. Not a personal holster for me, but one I made for a gift. Anyway, we'll see how it works out over time. 

Have a good day folks! 

039.thumb.jpg.5ee5c36766443b1a27a9ae05158a30c8.jpg040.thumb.jpg.2e6abd9af4ca280a29bdc6ff8ea3bbae.jpg046.thumb.jpg.b9a53d6fe89221889c7be89b88477b19.jpg

Outstanding work as always.

Nice.  BTW, I hope you had every bit as much fun as I did getting those rubber gaskets in the holster for the retention.  :crazy:  As far as I can tell they worked.  But what a hassle!  

Quality craftsmanship, Josh.

Thanks gents! 

Chief, I put them in before I stitched the body up because I had serious doubts that I could get to them once it was put together. I've put them down by the muzzle after sewing and even that's a nuisance if you have everything put in fairly snug. 

All the best, 

Josh

Josh,

as others have said, your work is always first rate.  But do you really need tension screws for an IWB?

Thanks Malabar! And the answer is a resounding "no", they aren't needed.

The back story is something like this, I built this set for my son who just turned 21. Among other things he's a parachute rigger for the 19th SFG of the UT National Guard and although not fully "5.11 tacticool" he likes his gear with more of a "military" flair than a western flair. Most of what I makes leans more western than military and I'd decided that whatever I built him would have some hardware, even if more for looks than purpose. Anyway, he's happy with it and if it does loosen up a little over it's useful lifespan he could tighten it down. 

All the best, 

Josh

Very Nice!

Who did you get your maker dye from? 

nice job....

very nice work. ever consider a matching IWB mag pouch?

And I like the hardware story. I have found over time by body has gotten closer to the belt so retention loss over time isn't a concern!

Thanks Plinker! I have thought a little about an IWB mag pouch and considered it for this project. However, I decided against it. I figured that for me the appeal of IWB is that the bottom of the holster is not visible if your cover garment rides up. Since a mag pouch doesn't really extend below the belt line, or even if it did wouldn't look like anything more than a pocketknife case I didn't see this as being an issue that needed fixing. I also decided that having the mag pouch IWB would be just one more thing stuffed inside a persons pants which are generally tight enough anyway (speaking of me more than my son, who hasn't been affected by growing out more than up yet).

I also don't have any concerns with needing added retention on an IWB. :)

Have a great Friday folks! 

Josh

Nice work as always Josh. I recently made one as well, without the tension screws. Have you, or anyone else reading this, received negative comments regarding "knocking off" the SS? I swear, you wouldn't believe some of the comments I've received from the MS sub-culture. I bet if I hadn't have went rough side out, nobody would've blinked an eye.

Ingle,

I've made several SS knock offs and haven't received any flak over them, although I don't post on many gun forums so I don't know that they have been seen very much. The summer Special is a highly copied holster style, it's not just you and I. If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery you'd think the M-S crowd would be happy about that! 

BTW, I commented in the post you'd made, but I'm compelled to say again, great job on your version of the SS! It looked fantastic! 

Josh