buko

Washi Paper-Covered Wallets

Hi everyone! I'm fairly new to leather-working and this is my first post. I thought I would post a picture of some wallets that I made for Mother's Day gifts earlier this year. I think they are kind of unique. 1mm veg tan with Japanese washi paper laminated to the flesh side. Critique always welcome! 

IMG_0454.png

IMG_0453.png

Looks great, but I would be worrying about durability of the paper in a wallet!  What are your thoughts about this?  (Tearing, wrinkling, etc.)

Yes. It was my first concern and I did a lot of research and experimenting to get it right. I tried 20 different adhesives until I found one that worked and wouldn't wrinkle. I ended up coating the paper with good old Mod Podge and then proceeded to scratch the dickens out of it with car keys, stitching irons and anything else sharp I had lying around.  It was hard to scratch and, being veg tan, if I had done any of those things to it without the paper it would have been all marked up anyway. The edges are where the problems will be most likely. I'm still trying to figure that part out. I'm making some handbags and I'll be turning leather over the edges to protect them.

That said, it probably won't be life-time durable but it should last a good long while before it needs to be replaced.

Edit: Oh, and these are ladies' wallets so not for putting in your back pocket. That would never work IMO.

Edited by buko

If the paper resisted scratching with keys, etc., sounds like it will hold up ok for a ladies wallet...