I recently inherited a Kenmore e6354 sewing machine that needs some TLC and parts (foot pedal). It was my grandmothers and I would love to use it if the cost (maintenance+parts) justifies the value of the machine. The first quote I received was just under ~$200 for parts and repair/tuning.

I noticed Tandy is selling a Singer 4452 that can also be found on Amazon for $207.00. I'm trying to decide whether I should invest in the older machine or buy a new one.

I plan to use a machine to sew leather bags and heavy canvas/denim bags. Would either of these work to sew through two pieces of ~6oz leather?

Thank you all in advance for the help!

Jack

The Kenmore is a domestic machine and the Singer is a domestic machine pretending not to be a domestic machine.  Neither of them will do what you want to do well, if at all.

Save your money towards a proper industrial leather sewing machine 

Read the sticky note near the top of this category : 

Watch canvas bag master @AlexanderDyer sew a heavy canvas bag and note what types of machines he uses:

Edited by Uwe

Aw shucks, don't call me master, that is an overstatement for sure. But hey, I definitely appreciate the shout out. Thank you.

It is all about the machines, they make it easy.

I made another video about getting that first machine and my biggest influence while learning about these marvels of engineering was none other than Wizcrafts. He is so patient and generous with his knowledge. Thank you sir. Later I discovered Uwe Grosse who's video work and attention to detail is inspiring, be sure to check out his work on YouTube too.

JackBarba, remember when you watch this that it is not so much about the exact machine in the video but rather the features of the machine that can be found on several models as you search for yours.

Interesting to note the Singer seems to have disappeared from Tandy's website. Could be a stocking issue or could be something else....

In speaking to the sales guy at Tandy, he mentioned that there were issues with the Singer machine, and so they pulled it.  

I did notice they've got another offering available, though I am not sure what it is off hand. 

None of the domestic sewing machines currently available are suitable for sewing much more than 4 to 6 ounces of leather. It's not so much that they can't penetrate the leather. They can, if you use leather point needles. The real problems are the bottom only feed, the thread size limits (no more than bonded #69/T70), light tension and pressure springs, thin steel levers and cranks, plastic gears and bodies and feeble motors. Other than that they are fine home sewing machines ;-)