Finished off another rifle stock butt cover. Made from 6oz veg tanned leather, dyed Chestnut in color. Feathers are hand drawn and tooled. End is hand stitched to cover the back of the stock. Has 9 loops to hold rifle shells in the 30-30, .303 range size. 7.62 will also fit but very tight. I also used the tandy lace cutter to make the lace from some 4oz drum dyed black leather I had kicking around.

feather_basketweave1a.jpg

This is cool. One of my dream guns is the 1874 sharps in 45.70 govt.can you imagine a cover like that boasting those big ole shells? Haha. 

13 minutes ago, Stetson912 said:

This is cool. One of my dream guns is the 1874 sharps in 45.70 govt.can you imagine a cover like that boasting those big ole shells? Haha. 

would be a sight to see for sure lol

46 minutes ago, Stetson912 said:

Also my favorite rifle, but mine is in 45-90 loaded with black powder! (see my profile pic) - now you have me thinking about making a nice cartridge belt for it...

Looks like I may have started something in a few minds :) I'm about to start on a sling with the same pattern to make a set

@garyplThat's awesome! Haha. You should do a cartridge belt or a slider even. 

I bet the sling comes out nice halitech.

@Stetson912 I'm hoping. I'm debating on putting a set of cartridge loops on it but might be over kill with the loops on the butt cover

You already have eight. I think my model 94 holds 8 rounds (30-30). So that's one reload. You may be able to incorporate another 8 on a slider that can be put anywhere on the sling?

I'm doing a cobra style so wouldn't be able to do a slider really but might just do another 8 loops on it. Thinking a belt pouch as well with a flap covering the bullets.

That could work

Wondering what weight leather are you using on your slings? I made one out of 14oz saddle skirting I had kicking around, ended up making about 15 more for other people, and now my 8oz slings are not selling well??? I think the 14oz are way too stiff personaly, but you have to make what sells! I think I will standardize with 10oz, kind of happy medium. 

The one I just started (as well as one I finished the other day) are both made from 6-7 veg and lined with 4oz "designer" leather.  I put about 1/4" of foam shelf liner in between for padding.  Will give me about a 10oz overall thickness.

14oz does seem pretty heavy, I have some here that I use for belts after splitting them down to the max my splitter will handle.

Ya I have come to the conclusion 10oz is about right! Going to get a couple bends in that weight and make a bunch more up, they sell real good in my area.