Josh Ashman

2 gun rig for 5-1/2" SAA's

I asked the guy numerous times "are you sure you want thumb breaks on these", he was sure he did. I like them better then I thought I would, but hammer thongs would have seemed more like the right thing to me. Anyway, 8/9 HO with 5/6 HO for the liners and bullet loops on the cartridge belt and 8/9 HO all around for the holsters. Light brown Fiebings (still working may way through the stuff I have, although the light brown isn't as bad as the tan for going splotchy for me), couple coats of NF oil, top coat of 50/50 M&G and water and a little shine with saddle soap.

Have a great Friday folks! 

001.thumb.jpg.279b90f482c1c10f700f42a033460eb1.jpg005.thumb.jpg.01376d309f75c7b0828bcdaf71112041.jpg015.thumb.jpg.d0f6247b91a189d9e035ab0a7826fb6a.jpg011.thumb.jpg.c855583cac853d031bcd33b21463e82f.jpg023.thumb.jpg.2ae062f1e4d34a909022f53742eb1fda.jpg026.thumb.jpg.c5ab16720c9920a1b238925654e8a9b7.jpg

Good work.  I despise thumb breaks and revolvers.  And looking at yours, I think I'm setting the snap too deep and it's catching on the cylinder.  Note to self........

Great looking work, Josh...as always. I agree with you...hammer thongs would have looked more appropriate...but to each their own.

An inquiry about the M&G...any advantages over Resolene or just a personal preference?

Thanks guys!

Chief, I make no claim to ever getting them right myself. I'd have probably put them lower but the holster was too tight to fit the strap down in there. I do like them a little higher tho. My nemesis with thumb breaks is extended thumb safeties on 1911's. I ALWAYS manage to get the snap dead center on top of it. I couldn't be any more 100% on this than if I was trying. Oh well...

Double, I first tried M&G for 2 reasons, 1) it's cheaper than Resolene and 2) it's available at any store. I've been using it now for a number of years and in my experience, it works well so I've stayed with it. 

All the best, 

Josh

Just now, Josh Ashman said:

Double, I first tried M&G for 2 reasons, 1) it's cheaper than Resolene and 2) it's available at any store. I've been using it now for a number of years and in my experience, it works well so I've stayed with it. 

Thanks! That makes sense and are pretty simple reasons. I was expecting there to be a more technical motivation (flows better thru an airbrush, easier clean-up, better long term storage properties, etc)...me over-thinkin' things, I guess. Just checked the local Lowes website...$10 for a half-gallon...I'm sure a dollar store or Wally World would be similar or cheaper.

Wow nicely done.....   really clean and thought out..... Hadn't thought of thumb breaks on that type of holster but can see advantages for a using holster

Nice clean work as usual. If this is just a range belt then I can see the deal with thumb breaks .... I doubt this is for CAS since even with the break off it would impeded draw whereas a thong gets out of the way when off obviously.

Sure you have been asked but do you hand more machine stitch?

finally... nice brace-o-pistols.

On 10/13/2017 at 11:22 AM, Double Daddy said:

Thanks! That makes sense and are pretty simple reasons. I was expecting there to be a more technical motivation (flows better thru an airbrush, easier clean-up, better long term storage properties, etc)...me over-thinkin' things, I guess. Just checked the local Lowes website...$10 for a half-gallon...I'm sure a dollar store or Wally World would be similar or cheaper.

And if you get the lemon stuff you get citrus fresh leather.lol

Whilst I can appreciate the work that goes into stamping and carving, there's no denying the elegance of a simple, plain design that is well executed.

As for the thumb break, if that's what the customer wants then that's what he gets - but sorry, it just doesn't look right to me.

52 minutes ago, dikman said:

Whilst I can appreciate the work that goes into stamping and carving, there's no denying the elegance of a simple, plain design that is well executed.

As for the thumb break, if that's what the customer wants then that's what he gets - but sorry, it just doesn't look right to me.

I agree whole heartedly.

That is a great looking rig!  But yeah the thumb break looks out of place.

Actually, I just realised what it is about the thumb break that bothers me - it looks clumsy, and clashes with the style of the rig. Josh is to be thanked, as by doing this he has shown what NOT to do with western-style rigs. :)

Hi Josh

Brilliant work, could you please tell this ignorant English man what M&G is please, keep up the good work.

Regards Forester

Mop and Glo. It's an acrylic floor polish/wax.

Screenshot_20171016-054705.png

Edited by Mattsbagger

Hey folks, thanks for your comments! This is by no means a CAS rig, just something my customer wanted to have. I'm not a CAS shooter myself so I'm not up on their rules, but I would think that thumb breaks aren't allowed. Maybe Red Cent will chime and and give a definitive answer on that. There's no disagreement from me that hammer thongs would have fit better, however I suppose that's the point of having something custom ordered. You can order what you want, assuming the maker is willing to build it, and I was :)

Hope you all have a great day! 

I like these a lot...good looking and practical as well.  Yes I like thumbreaks.....if you can put a 1911 in a cowboy holster (Wild Bunch) you can certainly use an imminently useful thumbreak with a SAA holster. :lol: