Nicksw13

Thinking about leather.

Hello I am new here, not sure if this is the right place to post this. I love leather and always have. Until recently I have always just purchased what I need, but renetly I have been kicking around the idea of doing it my self. I am an outdoors type person and even though in into EDC I've been carrying around things in my pockets before it was popular. I'm just wondering what kind of things I need to look at to get into making pocket organizers to start off with. Thank you for your help. 

You should first plan to spend some time doing some research, reading through some of the vast amount of information available on this forum, including many, many topics dedicated to beginning leatherwork. 

Without any knowledge/ information, including specifics regarding *what* you plan to make, there are too many variables to expect anyone to give you adequate assistance. There is a wide range of supplies, with a wide range of price points, with varying degrees of availability depending on where you live; what you need to begin tooling with veg tan is very different than what you may need for a bag or a notebook cover. 

Basic, simple leatherwork is not that difficult (even I can do it!) but you need to be patient, and like any craft or hobby it can be frustrating when you start. But as you go on it gets easier, and the standard of your work improves

There is a lot of information for beginners in this forum, especially the Getting Started; Tools; and Sewing sections

Last I checked on YouTube there were at least 10 pages, each with about 20 videos, on Leatherwork; watch as many as you have the stamina for! Those by Ian Atkinson/Leodis Leather and Nigel Armitage are often recommended. Also Jacklore has a couple of videos on making sheaths; even if you don't want to make a sheath, the techniques are very similar for a lot of leatherwork, and it's all good background

Get a book on leathercraft, try your library. Most books will cover the basics, and have a few simple projects. This book is often recommended - 'The Leatherwork Handbook' by Valerie Michael

Find out if there is a leather craft store near you. Tandy is the best known, but there are others. Call in and have a chat to them. I assume you are in the USA; if you tell us where you live I'm sure someone will advise you

Edited by zuludog

Thanks for the reply, I live by Rochester NY. I have been reading a ton online and watching videos. Leatherwork seems like it could be fun and I've been looking for hobby. This is the kind of projects I wanted to learn starting out. 

large.png

That sort of thing is pretty straightforward, the only problem might be fitting the eyelet as you will need special tools and a bit of practice. The tools are not that expensive, but it all adds up when you're starting out. If you just want one or two eyelets, try asking nicely at a leatherwork store. Alternatively fit a D ring, as in a dangler sheath

Search YouTube for 'belt pouch'; 'knife pouch'; 'possibles pouch'; and 'dangler sheath'.

When you've gained a bit more experience you could think about making a belt

Incidentally, it looks to me as though the pouch you've shown doesn't have any burnished edges or much in the way of leather treatment. You can do better yourself, and also improve the one you have

I'm still pretty new myself and it can be overwhelming on where to start, you can get by pretty easy and cheap if you going after the picture you posted. Look to see if you have a leather store near by or a craft store to pick up the basics. 

For the project in your picture you could grab a couple precut and finished pieces, some thread and needle.

How did the project go?

The Leatherworking Handbook (Valerie Michael) contains a lot of useful information and is worth having around the workshop. 

I would start out with two inexpensive books.

The art of Handsewing and this one.

KIMG0056-1170x2080.JPG

You can get both of these books for about 40 bucks. These two books will give you a great head start on what and why you need certain tools.

Good luck.