lorraine g

Relatively new and want some new ideas or suggestions

Hi all. Been learning about leather work as a weekend hobby for a couple of years. I've made easy bags, diary covers, dog collars and some simple bits n pieces. Pics later. 

My question is, what else can I try my hand at. I seem to have no imagination and just see what someone has made and try it myself. As I live in the UK anything to do with guns and even knives is pointless. I'm going to a craft fair in  month so keen to make things for that. 

I make square and heart shaped keyrings for the Airedale Terrier of Scotland Club which are sold via the club.  My airedale is called Fudge.

https://en-gb.facebook.com/fudgeandme/

there are some pics of the things I've done here. So I'm looking for some inspiration, ideas, suggestions, either for new items or how to improve what I'm doing. I'd really appreciate your views. 

Thanks from sunny Scotland (insert happy face)

Key fobs; dog collars; wallets

There are about 10 pages, each with about 20 videos on leatherwork on Youtube. Have a browse through, there must be something to inspire you. Also the Show Off! section of this forum

Nigel Armitage has a video entitled How to Make a Simple Wallet, or some similar wording; it shows how to make several variations on the designs

Tool rolls & cases for chef's knives; woodworking & carving chisels etc., including a combination of heavy canvas & leather. Search YouTube

People are willing to pay a higher price for individual, handmade items, but they usually expect a high standard of finish.

You could offer/advertise a Handmade/Custom/Bespoke service. Have a notice made for your stall, and some flyers or cards. Get a set of alphabet stamps for names & initials

Have a look at knife sheaths anyway, especially those by Leodis Leather & Jacklore Knives. The techniques are useful and can be applied to other things.

Edited by zuludog

Hi

I've just started my journey in leather craft. I'm based up near Peterhead. Which craft fair are you going to.

martin

On 10/14/2017 at 0:46 AM, lorraine g said:

Hi all. Been learning about leather work as a weekend hobby for a couple of years. I've made easy bags, diary covers, dog collars and some simple bits n pieces. Pics later. 

My question is, what else can I try my hand at. I seem to have no imagination and just see what someone has made and try it myself. As I live in the UK anything to do with guns and even knives is pointless. I'm going to a craft fair in  month so keen to make things for that. 

I make square and heart shaped keyrings for the Airedale Terrier of Scotland Club which are sold via the club.  My airedale is called Fudge.

https://en-gb.facebook.com/fudgeandme/

there are some pics of the things I've done here. So I'm looking for some inspiration, ideas, suggestions, either for new items or how to improve what I'm doing. I'd really appreciate your views. 

Thanks from sunny Scotland (insert happy face)

Make boxes. Bottles and mugs. Masks. 

Hi Martin

there is a church on King Street along from Lidl, just as you drive over the bridge at Bridge of Don. St Ninians. It's about a 2 minute walk from my house. A colleague saw they had an even on and thought i might be interested. It's on Saturday 18th  November 2-4pm. come along and see what its like. Ive only done one before but it was very posh and a bit cliquie. Well I thought anyway. 

DJole, and Zuludog, I have been watching Ian Atkinson and Neil Armitage and bought their instructions. I'd love to make boxes but they seem a bit too advanced for me just now. I've done a few dog collars which i like doing. I never think my edges are good though. I'm left handed and I find some of the tools are for right handed folk. Thank kind of annoys me as it makes life hard sometimes.

I'll go and brows you tube and see what i cam come up with. Thanks for the pointers :yeah:

Unfortunately I’m out of the country on the 18th otherwise I would have popped along. Maybe another time if you are going to something else.

I’m also left handed, just purchased my first left handed scissors for cutting leather. I think you’ll find Neil Armitage is left handed as well.

Good luck on the 18th

On 20/10/2017 at 6:03 AM, lostcaggy said:

Unfortunately I’m out of the country on the 18th otherwise I would have popped along. Maybe another time if you are going to something else.

I’m also left handed, just purchased my first left handed scissors for cutting leather. I think you’ll find Neil Armitage is left handed as well.

Good luck on the 18th

oh thats a shame. some moral support would have been good. being left handed is a bugger with some tools. the safety beveler tool in particular. when I rule the world, it will be left handed. 

So what sort of things do you make might I ask?

Ive made a couple of wallets so far and am just about to make a small bag.