Sheilajeanne

Snaps for Leashes

The other day, I was looking for trigger snaps for dog leashes, and went into TSC. Their  1/2" snaps are only rated for 35 lbs. but a large dog like a German shepherd can weigh twice that!

Tandy doesn't say how heavy a stress their snaps are designed to take. Anyone know of a manufacturer for snaps that DOES make a snap guaranteed to not break when a large dog puts it to the test?? I'd hate to have someone buy a leash from me, and have their dog get injured or killed as a result of snap breaking!

The type of snap I'm talking about is the one in this photo

IMG_2267 (2)_crop.jpg

Edited by Sheilajeanne

Crandom, thanks!  Their Canadian website doesn't state load ratings. I'll have to make sure I'm ordering the same product.

Shelta, leash size is strictly a personal preference. People who show dogs have leashes that are so thin they sometimes break!

I'm fine with 1/2" but my dogs are extremely well trained and don't pull. It can be hard to find the larger snaps for 3/4" leads.

Lead shanks for horses are usually 1' wide. I wonder what the load rating is on THEIR snaps??