mikesherman

Scimitar Scabbard

Well...just finished a scabbard for a scimitar. 5oz veg with a simple geometric pattern, no frills dealio for a friend. I was excited to get some pictures up and show off my first sword sheath. Delivered it...he was happy with it, and all was well. Got home and realized I didn't take any pics of the finished product...duh. Maybe next time! Anyways, below is the only pic I took during the project.

59e50fc800c5e_File_000-Copy.thumb.jpeg.30d8890cd2d540ee7b876379409636e4.jpeg

Would be nice to see the final product. Looks good for sure

Looks cool, but I have a question.  How does the fat part of the sword pass through the narrow part of the scabbard?

YinTx

2 hours ago, mikesherman said:

Well...just finished a scabbard for a scimitar. 5oz veg with a simple geometric pattern, no frills dealio for a friend. I was excited to get some pictures up and show off my first sword sheath. Delivered it...he was happy with it, and all was well. Got home and realized I didn't take any pics of the finished product...duh. Maybe next time! Anyways, below is the only pic I took during the project.

59e50fc800c5e_File_000-Copy.thumb.jpeg.30d8890cd2d540ee7b876379409636e4.jpeg

heh! So excited you forgot to take pictures! Yeah, that's a common problem. (Of course,  maybe your lucky friend can send pictures to you?)

Was this a welted scabbard? 
I can see that the tip is wider than the throat -- by looking at the stitch line, it seems that the top of the scabbard was not sewn together to allow sheathing the blade. Is that right?
Are those incised design lines, or stitched? 

YinTx - the back of the scabbard is open down to the widest part, the two small flaps in the pic are for snaps...

DJole - no welts, but I think next time I'd like welts, as much for aesthetics as for interior purposes...and you are correct about the back of the scabbard being open for sheathing the blade. The lines are incised, I never thought of stitching them, but what a great idea! I'll have to try that sometime as well, next I use this geo-pattern.

Thanks all for the ideas and for looking!