epiphanist1248

Rivets - rapid vs. tubular vs. double cap

Is there a general consensus as to which rivets are "the best" - e.g. best hold, easiest to set, best price? Assume for the sake of discussion that the backs will be hidden and only the fronts/tops will be visible, so overall appearance isn't the big issue.

Rapid and double caps are the same. They set easy are not the strongest. I never used tubular rivets. Personally I prefer copper burr rivets. I have seen some use a small washer on the tubular rivets. Looks goes to double caps IF strength not an issue. And they are just for show/accent. But if I can use a copper burr rivet I will. Don't know if my rambling babbling helps at all.lol

@Mattsbagger Thanks. I've used copper burr rivets before, but that's a lot of rivet for the project I have in mind. 

For this exercise, I actually don't need something to hold at stress points. I've got that covered.

What I need is something I can set easily, that will hold decently if it's not stressed. 

I think the tubular rivets are stronger but the double caps much more attractive. And many options for a look. The hammered antique nickle are really nice looking. Also they have the benefit of all having the same post diameter so you can use the small rivet with the large cap. And vice versa If you need them short or long.

i use double cap, they are decent but you have to get the correct lenght.. some people hate jiffy caps but... to each his own.. ive heard the copper rivets are the best

you could use chicago screws and glue them

I use all types, depending on what i am making. Double caps look nice because both sides are clean and finished... The tubular are Much stronger. Tubular come in nickle,brass,black,antique so they can match with the hardware that is on the thing i am making.I use the same colour washer on the back. I prefer them over copper rivets because i think give a "cleaner" look on the back side and with the rivet set it is one/two hits with hammer and are done. But you need All the sizes of rivets because you can not cut to length.     Also there are a few different diameters of shanks as well as heads on the tubular rivets, so if i am using on locks,will use smaller ones with the smaller heads.Splits work great but tubulars have more holding power. You can either use a "cap" for the legs of split to grab onto or have the legs curl into the leather.  The double caps can not be counted on to never letting go, so you can not use when you need lots of holding power. Just depends what you are making, the look you are going for.

Does anyone have any ideas to replace these copper rivets with something easier to hold but still sturdy. The copper rivets are a pain because of having to slide this into a metal bracket I rigged to set them

FB_IMG_1527092970857.jpg

Setting the rivets for your D rings shouldn't be too hard in that geometry you are showing...I use a 9 pound hobby anvil...they are pretty cheap.   Is your question related to rivets inside the holder pocket (not shown)?  I used to fuss with that problem on cell phone cases too...anything with a throat depth of more than a couple of inches is a problem when you are trying to close the bottom...I have a couple of ideas for you (like the radio holder and the theme by the way) but I kind of need to see the exact problem...the rivets you are showing in your photo, in my opinion, are the best application.