So I finally took the plunge and created my first (well first one since Jr. High 43 years ago) leather project, a pair of cowboy cuffs.

CowboyCuffs.thumb.jpg.42dcc9fa2d6f44a3f72ac7e5cd04513a.jpg

Although I am fairly pleased with the way they turned out, they are far from what I expected from myself.  I probably shouldn't be too critical of myself as I didn't start with something simple, but I had to do a four quadrant basketweave as well as a serpentine border.  Both of which were much harder than I thought they would be.  I am the one of those guys that can do just about anything and do it well, so I am somewhat humbled by this experience, but it has given me a whole new appreciation for those you you who are expert leather craftsman!

Thanks Latigo. 

I hope your home was spared.  My and my wife's thoughts and prays are with everyone who lives in the Santa Rosa area.  Stay Safe.

Why some of y'all califerne fellers doen some dern nice works looks like for down here in the hollers of Tennessee, and glad to hear y'all er safe there,  besides them fires creating major problems I see where ol Jerry brown is really worken the state over what with some of the things he is signing in to law.

all kidding aside we left there almost 5 years ago and not sure if I could go home now. 

Those look really good!

I think you did a pretty good job!

Thanks all for the kind words.  I do need to practice more with my swivel knife as my corners could be better.  I also have to  learn how to place my border stamp close to my border cuts without stamping into the cut.  I did learn a lot though with this project, and a few of the things I learned are:

1. Good lighting!  Maybe it's just me and my getting slightly older eyes, but there can never be too much lighting, as it is essential to accurately follow tracing lines when cutting with a swivel knife, and for accurate stamp placement/alignment.  I am going to purchase two swing arm lamps to mount one on each end of my workbench to help with this. 
  2. You Need to be aware of where your no stamp areas are with each stamp placement.  I was too concerned about lining up one side of my basket-weave stamp, that I didn't notice that the other side was protruding into my makers mark border.
  3. Keep you fingernails cut as short as possible.  I noticed some marks in the unstamped leather near my serpentine border after I finished stamping.  It took me awhile to figure out that they were caused by my fingernails digging into the leather when I was firmly holding the stamp getting ready to strike it.  Although my fingernails were not long, they could have been shorter to avoid this problem.
  4. Don't be too worried about perfection, and just have fun.

Hi Rem, your rite on with #3 . Some times I even wrap some masking tape around the ends of my fingers when I have a lot of stamping to do. :wacko: