Curlywolf

What to use to seal leather after stamping & dying

I make dog collars & I have used eco flo satin, tan kote to finish veg tan leather, but after few months. It dye is coming out and the leather has gone dark it it look awful.

ive just brought some saddle lac & pro resist.

any other suggestions in case these don't work 

Just an FYI: click Submit and wait. This forum is fairly slow. You have 3 posts in a row of the same thing.

Acrylic resolinee. If you use a sprayer add a little water. 

Jim

Hi. I suggest that you cut some dyed test pieces and apply different finishes to each, then when they are dried and buffed, place several drops of water on each to see if the water produces a stain or actually soaks into the leather.  Leave it overnight for a really tough test. Also see if rubbing the surfaces lifts dye.  Tan Kote is hopeless as a water resistant seal in my experience. When I've made collars in the past I've cheated by finishing with Resolene, which is colorfast but does also look like gloss varnish. These days I would ensure the dye was completely dry before buffing off any residue, then apply a good quality carnauba cream, allow to dry overnight then re-apply, then rub hard to bring to a good shine. Then I'd finish with Sno Seal: apply it to the leather then warm the leather with a heat gun to open the pores, then rub it in and repeat. You don't say whether you apply oil to your leather after you've dyed it, but if you do that will always result in dye coming out.

16 hours ago, SouthernCross said:

Sno-Seal shouldn't be able to penetrate through Resolene, should it?

No, it shouldn't. I used to use Resolene but not any more. Now for maximum waterproofness over a colourfast finish I'd use Sno Seal. It's not for everyone, pretty old school. Someone tried to persuade me to start using Renapur recently but you know, so many products on the market and life's too short...

SHERIDAN RTC- best there is- waterproof et

21 minutes ago, pete said:

SHERIDAN RTC- best there is- waterproof et

Do you also cut this with water  like Resolene?

Edited by steelhawk

On 11/17/2017 at 10:56 AM, PhilipHN said:

No, it shouldn't. I used to use Resolene but not any more. Now for maximum waterproofness over a colourfast finish I'd use Sno Seal. It's not for everyone, pretty old school. Someone tried to persuade me to start using Renapur recently but you know, so many products on the market and life's too short...

Do you apply Sno Seal to both sides, or  just the top?

NO! Just RTC