JHayek

latest roughout

Finished this last week but been to busy to post pics till now. Comments welcome as well as critiques

20171004_193604.jpg

Saddle looks good.  What are some of the specs.?  Tree maker, type of leather, etc..  Are you entering this into the Pendleton Leather Show saddle contest? 

Sunny Felkins 58 wade tree herman oak leather. It's already at its new home so no I'm not entering it at Pendleton. 

Nice looking saddle. It looks really balanced. Thanks for sharing.

Randy

Very nice! Do you have any pics of the tooling on the horn cap?

Thanks for the compliments. Here's the horn cap pic

20171004_193619.jpg

Thanks for the pic. Looks great! And that's a lot of stitching. What type of thread do you use and do you use the same thread for the cantel binding?

I just use the same bonded thread that I use on my cobra 4 (277 @ 7 per inch) only I slick it with beeswax first and use 2 needles like sewing with linen thread. It gives a consistent look throughout matching the machine stitching and yes I use the same on the cantle. 

Nice looking saddle Jon.  Clean and neat and well made.  May I add a critique...mostly related to design... skirt shape does not match seat and jockey shapes.  Skirt should have a fuller rear corner to match jockey (or change jockey shape to match skirt).  Side seat jockey is a bit too deep down the side, and a bit too short front to back.  Follow the cantle line around the seat jockey and back thru the front of the swell.  This is cosmetic, and wont affect the functionality of the saddle.  

Thanks for the comment Keith I appreciate your taking the time to critique it. Look at it now I see what you are saying about the front to back line on the side jockey and I will take that into account on the next one. As far as the skirt and jockey or rear housins are concerned I was trying to cover an oversight in my construction and evidently I missed the mark.  I needed to cover the top of the rigging and. I tried to blend the rear and bottom lines to do so but the better fix would have been to raise the rear D about 3/4 on an inch

Great looking saddle!

Will serve your customer well and Roughout will only get better with time.  Billy

On 10/26/2017 at 10:28 AM, JHayek said:

As far as the skirt and jockey or rear housins are concerned I was trying to cover an oversight in my construction and evidently I missed the mark.  I needed to cover the top of the rigging and. I tried to blend the rear and bottom lines to do so but the better fix would have been to raise the rear D about 3/4 on an inch

Yes, raising the rear dee would have been the proper adjustment to maintain the shallower, larger radius of the rear jockey to match the skirt.  

you mention that you sew with the cobra 4 and then mention 2 needles would clarify that for me.

thanks

I believe he is talking about hand sewing the horn and cantle binding by hand when referring to the two needles, not the Cobra Class 4. 

ya I went back and reread the post and it sounds like he buck stiches the horn and it comes out looking like the stich from a cobra 4.

I see there is some confusion about the stitching. I use 277 nylon thead with 2 needles and wax it just like its linen thread. Its a standard lockstich just done with nylon so the look and material is the same as the rest of the saddle. The reference to my cobra 4 is I walk over to the cobra and pull off the amount of thread I need. Hope that clears it up.

Now I am confused.... Did you stitch your horn and cantle using a "saddle stitch" using two needles crossing the threads in the hole as you progress, or a "lockstitch" using a hook and pulling a loop from one side that the thread from the other side is threaded thru and then pulling the "lock" into the center?

image.png.ca2bbbf35f4904191b50f8fe9fc651e6.png

I think he did the hand sewn lock stitch, that's what he wrote then I wrote something else.