strathmoredesigns

How versatile is the Craftool Pro Hand Press?

I'm looking at buying Tandy's Craftool Pro Hand Press and it's associated accessories. I haven't gotten far beyond rivets thus far, but I can definitely see myself doing eyelets and snaps and such in the near future. So I wanted to get a sense of whether or not anyone had any experience with this tool and how useful/versatile they found it and the different dies/accessories to be.

Here's a list of the dies/accessories they offer for it:

• Wide Double Cap Rivets
  • Stamp set for: 1/8" (3 mm), 1/4" (6 mm) and 3/8" (10 mm) stamps and 2D/3D series, 1/2" (13 mm), 3/4" (19 mm) and 1" (25 mm) alphabet stamps 
  • Round Tube Punches Adapter 
  • 1/4" Round Spots 
  • 3/8" Round Spots
  • 3/16" Eyelets 
  • 1/4" Eyelets
  • Line 20 Snaps
  • Line 24 Snaps 
  • Rapid & Double Cap Rivets
  • Tubular Rivets
  • Multipurpose Snaps for Segma Type Snaps

Thanks guys.

The only thing I will say is that a lot of dies are brand specific for machine and hardware. If you spend all the money on dies will have to stick with Tandy hardware I believe. You might want to look into an arbor press and get it modified to suit different dies and hardware.

I haven't used that particular press, but very similar presses can be got for a lot less money. I have one similar to this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kam-Press-Machine-Press-Studs-Eyelets-Grommet-Rivets-Popper-Stud-Leather-Craft-/272041959807?epid=1360302921&hash=item3f56f6e17f:g:fzEAAOSw6dNWSoGN

Many companies sell very similar ones from as little as £20 up. Most use a somewhat standard size threaded upper and lower tool size, which are available to set double or single cap rivets, punch holes, set eyelets/grommets or set snaps for about £15-20. Some of them have a hole on the lever which allows their conversion to foot or pneumatic power. I've also used mime for stamping using Tandy 3D stamps and small custom etched embossing plates, though I prefer my hydraulic press for that.

You may also like to look at using a slightly modified arbor press for these jobs, they are very popular for hobbyists and low-production manufacturers.

5 minutes ago, Mattsbagger said:

If you spend all the money on dies will have to stick with Tandy hardware I believe. 

Ok, that was one thing I was definitely wondering. I get it that the dies would be specific to the Tandy press, but how specific is the hardware? Will I need also use hardware I buy from Tandy or is there enough standardization in things like rivets and snaps that I could use just about anybody's and still set that with that press?

I've seen the arbor presses done and thought about that a little, but I'd have to get someone to do it for it so I was thinking this might be a ready-made solution.

Rapid rivets are pretty standard. The quality of the Tandy setters is less than a set from Micheals I had laying around. And the snaps from Micheals are even better. A machine shop would drill a hole and tap a set screw for a cpl dollars. Its an easy 12 pack for one of them.lol

I went with the popular "green" press to save money on the dies.  I wish I had either modified my arbor press or preferably bought the Tandy one.  The quality of some of the hardware just seems a little soft.  I have bent snap bases with easy use, and the grommets as well.  While most of the dies work great, the small grommet setter only works if I set the grommet partially with a hand setter first.  Will probably still buy the Tandy red press or the Springfield black one, which would have been cheaper in the long run.

I have the red press with a bunch of the dies and I love it. I plan on getting a foot press one day for my higher quantity seasons (Fathers Day and Christmas) but for now, the hand tool has not let me down.

I have the following dies and love using them all:

• Wide Double Cap Rivets
  • Round Tube Punches Adapter 
  • 3/16" Eyelets 
  • 1/4" Eyelets
  • Line 20 Snaps
  • Line 24 Snaps 
  • Rapid & Double Cap Rivets
  • Multipurpose Snaps for Segma Type Snaps

Thanks guys. For those of you with this press, are you only able to use Tandy 

1 hour ago, BearClawLeather said:

I have the red press with a bunch of the dies and I love it.

Are you able to use non-Tandy brand hardware with it? Most of my hardware at this point is from Tandy, but I don't want to be limited in the future. My general assumption is that a 3/16 eyelet should more or less be a 3/16 eyelet, regardless of whether Tandy made it or someone else did.... 

1 minute ago, strathmoredesigns said:

Thanks guys. For those of you with this press, are you only able to use Tandy 

Are you able to use non-Tandy brand hardware with it? Most of my hardware at this point is from Tandy, but I don't want to be limited in the future. My general assumption is that a 3/16 eyelet should more or less be a 3/16 eyelet, regardless of whether Tandy made it or someone else did.... 

I get most of my hardware from the Buckle Guys and they work perfectly.

Thanks everybody, some really helpful information and some stuff to think about!

Resurrecting this thread. I got a smokin' deal on the Pro version of the Tandy press. I've tested it with the die sets I've accumulated, and it works flawlessly. I should have gotten one long ago, but I couldn't get past the price. It was on sale this week, and I get a manufacturers discount on top of that, so couldn't resist. Frankly, it would have been worth it at full retail, to me anyway. I'm tired of having snaps not get enough "bite" on the components, and rivets clinch over with the setter and hammer approach. I'd stopped using snaps it got so bad. Now, they all set perfectly and I no longer worry about long term use. I went the Harbor Freight route thinking I'd save some money. Not so. The alignment with the hand setter is perfect, and fortunately for me, idiot resistant. I still need the HF arbor press, to use my maker's mark, because it's so darn long, but that's about it. I need to get a mark made with a length I can use in the hand setter, and I can get rid of the HF arbor press. Too bad, I'd already drilled the thing out to accept dies, and machined the ram so I could get maximum force on the bar!

Jeff

I hear that you get what you pay for. That said, I have been looking at the Weaver hand press or some better options. Such as gold star tools. There are sooooo many options out there. I wish there was a realistic breakdown of sizes, threads, weights and so on.

I purchased the Gold Star semi auto spot setter and love it! Full  warranty for life anything goes wrong Alex the owner pays to ship and fix it. Extra dies are only 185. Comaped to 1200- 1500 bucks through weaver. Best investment for my shop to date.