Firefighter41

Randell leather creaser 1887

I have a Randell co pat date 1887 leather creaser. My question is where is the best place to market this item it looks to be in great shape and the only thing I can find on this is that they are rare 

IMG_0668.JPG

24 minutes ago, Mark842 said:

Here in this forum...http://leatherworker.net/forum/forum/79-machinery-cuttingleatherworking/

Is the bottom roller wood or metal on this one? Do you have the foot press pieces that attach to it to apply pressure? What are you looking to get out of it?

The bottom roller is metal and what you see is all that is there there is what appears to be a gauge that has a wood rod that is attached to the machine. And I have no idea on price think I'm going to put it on eBay 

IMG_0691.JPG

Just some caveats with selling it on Ebay or wherever. Do not short yourself on packing and shipping charges. Be prepared to take some time and material cost to pack it right or you will eat it. The handle definitely will arrive in two pieces if left on. There are a lot of other things sticking out asking to be broken off. They can't be taken off. Use plenty of box and material to prevent shifting.These are heavy, old, and brittle. Packing peanuts and crumpled paper are not a good choice. Alternating Insulating layers of cardboard and bubble wrap are a step up.  There is nothing more disheartening to a buyer than having one arrive with a big hole  or two in the box and bag of broken off parts taped to the outside. That is with a good postal worker somewhere in the chain, otherwise they toss the parts and best o' luck.   The weight of the top roller is supported on each end by the shafts extending through the bearing blocks. Sort of a weak link even if crated. That little continual bounce in shipping can shear the shafts cleanly off at either or both ends. You don';t find that damage until you open it.  The USPS and UPS consider that "Shock damage" and/or "vibration damage" and deny insurance claims, and insurance appeals, and further insurance appeals... Sometimes they just say it was broken before shipping and the seller disguised it and packed it anyway. Take it apart and pack the top roller separately. Don't feel like UPS and USPS insurance will save you - they won't unless they absolutely lose it. Damage claims paid out in the experience of several of us are fewer and far between. 

I agree with Bruce on taking care with packaging for shipping. eBay will definitely allow the market to set the price. I would still link the eBay listing in the for sale section here. It will give you all of ebay but it will also make sure you target people in the trade. I have one of these in my shop I bought a few years back and they are a great tool for someone that does a lot of belts/straps.

Good luck with it

I’ve got this exact item! I want to get it working again! 

On 10/24/2017 at 6:56 PM, Mark842 said:

Here in this forum...http://leatherworker.net/forum/forum/79-machinery-cuttingleatherworking/

Is the bottom roller wood or metal on this one? Do you have the foot press pieces that attach to it to apply pressure? What are you looking to get out of it?

Where are photos of the foot press? 

How is this machine utilised? I saw where it is called a creaser, but it looks like it would be useless for anything wider than one set of rollers.....

Somebody educate me, please?

Thanks

9 minutes ago, bikermutt07 said:

How is this machine utilised? I saw where it is called a creaser, but it looks like it would be useless for anything wider than one set of rollers.....

Somebody educate me, please?

Thanks

It makes lengthwise creases on straps...belts, etc. The rollers towards the left end are used to mold a strap to put a cord in between two layers. It's not a creaser as in something that folds leather.