Got back from my honeymoon to find my new Cowboy 4500 delivered and waiting at Central Supply on campus. Got the machine assembled and started sewing yesterday.

I manage the Grazing Behavior Lab at the University of Maine, and build GPS tracking collars for livestock. Up to this point, I have been struggling and powering through with hand tools and my Consew 206RB1. Not anymore. I have a my Weaver Rivet press and Cowboy 4500 to do the heavy lifting. This machine effortlessly sews up these heavy duty collars.  The next machines on my wish list are a clicker press and the Weaver rotary punch for punching buckle holes in the GPS collars.  Big props to Bob Kovar at Toledo for working with the University purchasing depart (very convoluted process).

This winter, I am collaborating with researchers in Australia to develop a youth program for teenagers in rural communities to improve digital literacy and promote technology in agriculture. Essentially, we want to introduce students to modern precision agricultural tools and software to give them a jump start to either their career or college studies. They will learn about GPS, GPS research in livestock, building tracking collars, and competing in a poster competition by presenting research performed with the GPS collars they made. 

Quick question - My hand wheel is pretty hard to turn by hand, so I have to give it a little gas on the pedal to turn it. How hard/easy should it be to turn this hand wheel? I can adjust the pulleys and belt, but I don't want to go adjusting things before I know what its supposed to be like.

cowboy 4500 1.jpg

Hey Colt,

Congrats on the Honeymoon!!

Anytime you have a question feel free to give us a call.Our motor has a brake in it that is on when your foot is off the pedal,so yes you'll have to push the pedal down alittle  to release it,then the machine will turn by hand.Once you get used to it though you can press real lightly & stop the needle wherever you want it to be.The belts need to be as tight as they need to be or they'll slip when you start sewing thick.

Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Thanks,

Bob

Welcome to the Cowboy Club, Colt!

The hand wheel should turn quite easily.   Look for something causing a drag on it.   When the wheel is installed, there should be a small amount of clearance between it and thrust washer on the machine head.

Nice addition there :rockon:

Floyd

2 hours ago, Cascabel said:

The hand wheel should turn quite easily.   Look for something causing a drag on it.   When the wheel is installed, there should be a small amount of clearance between it and thrust washer on the machine head.

As Bob mentioned earlier in this topic, his current motors have a brake that engages with the unit at rest and the pedal up. The pedal needs to be depressed a little to release the brake. This is the same way a clutch motor works.

You can also remove the brake pad on those FamilySew style motors. Personally I strongly dislike those brakes. In my experience I was much more likely to accidentally start the motor while depressing the pedal just so while leaning in to position something. For me it's actually safer to remove the brake pad and keep the foot off the pedal as I turn the handwheel and manipulate the workpieceThis machine will stop quickly when you let go of the pedal, brake or not. It's a different story on racehorse garment machines galloping along at 3000 stitches per minute. It's also a different story on a car.

Even without brake pads the handwheel will be somewhat hard to turn due to the speed reducer pulley.

What type of oil/wax goes in the lube pot? Im going to be sewing a big run of synthetic collars in the near future that will be Brahma webbing and neoprene/rubber padding. 

I bought the lube in the picture from Bob at Toledo Sewing.  Don’t remember the cost, but I don’t think it was too expensive and should last a very long time!

8092109D-2B51-4779-B446-B3B19C54561D.jpeg.7fb77bc2f204aaceecfd5c76616eed61.jpeg

Ask Bob about the CB8500 before buying the weaver punch

1 hour ago, Darren Brosowski said:

Ask Bob about the CB8500 before buying the weaver punch

Very interested to hear more about this. I didn't know cowboy made a rotary belt punch. 

18 hours ago, Wizcrafts said:

As Bob mentioned earlier in this topic, his current motors have a brake that engages with the unit at rest and the pedal up. The pedal needs to be depressed a little to release the brake. This is the same way a clutch motor works.

I was not aware that they currently have a brake built in to the motor !!  Mine does not have that feature.

Just curious to know what weight of leather do you used to make these collars? :D

37 minutes ago, Cascabel said:

I was not aware that they currently have a brake built in to the motor !!  Mine does not have that feature.

The brake first appeared in the SewPro 500GR servos. After their demise, and a short stint of push button motors, CowboyBob began distributing Family Sew 550 Watt servo motors, all of which have a removable cork brake.

On 10/26/2017 at 11:04 AM, Sheilajeanne said:

Just curious to know what weight of leather do you used to make these collars? :D

I use the Weaver Brahman Webbing  to make most of the cattle collars, However, the I do make leather collars for some cattle research and for sheep and goats. The strap is 13/14 ounce latigo and the pouch to hold the GPS is 8/9 ounce veg tan.

On ‎10‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 8:55 PM, Uwe said:

You can also remove the brake pad on those FamilySew style motors. Personally I strongly dislike those brakes. In my experience I was much more likely to accidentally start the motor while depressing the pedal just so while leaning in to position something. For me it's actually safer to remove the brake pad and keep the foot off the pedal as I turn the handwheel and manipulate the workpieceThis machine will stop quickly when you let go of the pedal, brake or not. It's a different story on racehorse garment machines galloping along at 3000 stitches per minute. It's also a different story on a car.

Even without brake pads the handwheel will be somewhat hard to turn due to the speed reducer pulley.

This hack needs one of your special instruction videos.  Can you make one up for removing the brake pad? 

On ‎10‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 10:55 AM, Cascabel said:

There are 2 styles of servos one has a computer chip in it,it doesn't have a brake,it uses electronics to stop,we did use that style until I got tired of the boards burning out & they are much harder to adjust the speed on(you have to do a 3-step process) so we found these motors w/a built-in brake are much more reliable & you just turn a knob for the speed control.The way the machines are set up you can get the needle up or down by a light tap on the pedal.