KarlProsek

Cracks on belt

Hello there,

i'm practicing about belts and found an "issue".

As you can see from the attachment, the belt loop shows some little cracks when i bend it before the stitching.

The belt as this issue,too. Probably the belt cannot withstand a normal everyday use without showing this defect.

The leather is vegetable tanned, approximately 3 mm thick, dyed with fiebings pro oil dye (light brown) and finished with an homemade mixture of beeswax and fiebings's neatsfoot oil compound (40 wax and 60 oil). The mixture had darkened the leather, but that will be another thread. :)

For any kind of advice,i wish to thank you.

i beg your pardon for my english...you know, i'm Italian.

K

IMG_0369.PNG

IMG_0370.PNG

No,but i fear that the cracks show up by simply inserting the strap through the buckle.

you suggest to wet it after the finishing?

Wet the leather before you bend it over

Cracking is also a sign that the leather is too dry; [its old and drying out] it might need lots more nfo rubbed in

the neats foot oil will darken the leather when applied, and yes before you bend the leather apply some water to it, and it will lessen the chance of cracking .  If the leather has come from a distributor like here in the states it is most likely dry and needs to be oiled when being worked or it will crack.

I plan for the darkening with NFO. I stain/dye to a lighter degree, then assume the NFO will darken it to the right degree.

And yes, dampen the leather before bending it. Dry leather will crack when bent 90 to 180 degrees.

Thank you all.

There is an oil (or another conditioner) that doesn't darken the leather when applied?

What's the best moment for oiling the leather? I think after the dyeing but before the finishing,since the alcohol in the dye can dry the leather,right?

5 hours ago, KarlProsek said:

Thank you all.There is an oil (or another conditioner) that doesn't darken the leather when applied?

What's the best moment for oiling the leather? I think after the dyeing but before the finishing,since the alcohol in the dye can dry the leather,right?

Not really, think about it when you get anything wet it gets darker. I am sure there are some space age chemicals that would condition the leather, but you would probably get cancer from using the belt. Chalk this one up to experience. The next one you do you will know to oil the leather before working it a bit and then stain accordingly. If you dont want it to get too dark apply a light coat of oil and wait like 2 weeks to a month it will disperse evenly through the leather and not be too noticeable. I am reminded of a russian expression, I will paraphrase in english. "The first pancake is always lumpy."  This is the approach I use when making something with a new leather. As for the best time to condition the leather it might be a case of multiple times, as there are just too many variables. Never forget that leather is an agricultural product and thus there will always be a fair amount of flying by the seat of your pants. Good luck, have fun, make some cool things.

Thanks, so for the next items i will oil this leather a bit before doing anything.

I will give a try with olive oil. As far as i read, it gets different result but i want to test it.

Bye!

K

If you hand dyed that it may not be cracking, it might be lifting.  When the bending exposes undyed parts of the leather and appears lighter.  Drum dyed leather does not do that because it tends to be struck through.  If you apply a light layer of dye with a dauber you can get a significant color change when it is bent.  Not so much a defect as it is a characteristic of leather.  The best way to avoid this if you are hand dyeing is to buy drum dyed leather for the loops.  

FWIW, I hand dye most of my leather.  It all does this.  My drum dyed leather does not.  Just the nature of working with leather.  You might be able to mitigate the issue by dip dying the leather instead of dying with a dauber.  

Really interesting,chief jason.

By the way i have oiled (with evoo) the belt and the loop.

After it i dampened the leather in the bending parts and the lifting is less noticeable. The color is thinner but without signs of cracking.

On ‎10‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 7:19 AM, tomsmith85717 said:

Not really, think about it when you get anything wet it gets darker. I am sure there are some space age chemicals that would condition the leather, but you would probably get cancer from using the belt. Chalk this one up to experience. The next one you do you will know to oil the leather before working it a bit and then stain accordingly. If you dont want it to get too dark apply a light coat of oil and wait like 2 weeks to a month it will disperse evenly through the leather and not be too noticeable. I am reminded of a russian expression, I will paraphrase in english. "The first pancake is always lumpy."  This is the approach I use when making something with a new leather. As for the best time to condition the leather it might be a case of multiple times, as there are just too many variables. Never forget that leather is an agricultural product and thus there will always be a fair amount of flying by the seat of your pants. Good luck, have fun, make some cool things.

Lexol Neatsfoot leather conditioner   non-darkening  Use it all the time works great and don't darken the leather

On ‎10‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 1:57 PM, KarlProsek said:

Hello there,

i'm practicing about belts and found an "issue".

As you can see from the attachment, the belt loop shows some little cracks when i bend it before the stitching.

The belt as this issue,too. Probably the belt cannot withstand a normal everyday use without showing this defect.

The leather is vegetable tanned, approximately 3 mm thick, dyed with fiebings pro oil dye (light brown) and finished with an homemade mixture of beeswax and fiebings's neatsfoot oil compound (40 wax and 60 oil). The mixture had darkened the leather, but that will be another thread. :)

For any kind of advice,i wish to thank you.

i beg your pardon for my english...you know, i'm Italian.

K

IMG_0369.PNG

IMG_0370.PNG

The No. 1 thing I do is, as soon as I receive the hide I, roll it out an apply conditioner. Dry leather is no good/

Thank you Wlg. Do you apply it only that time or even after the dyeing,too?