audiohauz

Singer 241-11 Stitch Regulator Jam

Hello! I hope Im posting in the correct thread.

I have a Singer 241-11. To change the stitch length, there is a button plunger on top of the machine near the handwheel. In the manual it specifically says not to run the machine when changing the stitch length. Well, by accident, I had the plunger pressed down and was turning the handwheel to change the stitch length and my foot pressed a little too much on the pedal and.. there she goes. I heard and felt clicks while this happened, but now I can't change the length, the handwheel wont move while the plunger is pressed down and latched into the stitch regulating shaft. It seems like it is jammed or stuck in the one position. machine works but I'm at the longest stitch length. I opened the top cover to inspect but can't see any evidence of something that broke off or anything unusual. The mechanism part that is pressed down via the plunger seems fine and goes down accordingly but it wont budge. There is one screw missing it seems, i think its the stitch regulating screw that changes the maximum amount of stitches per model (241-11 , 241-12, 241-13). I checked to see if it was laying in the pan or in the housing but did not find anything. The manual says not to run the machine when changing the stitch length but I can't find any solutions if this problem were to happen. 

Does anyone know why this happened, is it a safety feature? Do I have to take apart the shaft and gears? Any help would be greatly appreciated! I can add photo's if it helps.

Thank you gentlemen!

- Co

The mechanism part that is pressed down via the plunger seems fine and goes down accordingly but it wont budge

This part doesn't make sense, if the "mechanism part that is pressed down via the plunger" "goes down accordingly".. ( how does "it" ("mechanism part that is pressed down via the plunger" ) also not move, as in ) "but it won't budge".?
What part.."won't budge" ?

Photos of what you are referring to, with, if you can add them ..labels of the part "which goes down accordingly" and the part which " won't budge" so as to be able to distinguish the one from the other, would be enormously helpful.

Highly unlikely that you'll need to take apart shafts and or gears to get the full stitch size range again..sounds like you may now have the stitch length adjustment mechanism facing the wrong section of the part it is designed to act upon.

Edited by mikesc

It is jammed against the stop screw take the cover off over the stitch length & loosen the large screw & it should unjam it for you.

Singer 241,251,281 stitch length screw.JPG

This is very common on 241s and machines of other classes with this type of stitch length regulator.

*I usually get a dowel pin, push it into the screw hole for the handwheel set screws, and pull. 

*Make sure you know what direction to pull, clock or counter clockwise, or you can break the machine.  This will depend on if the machine is jammed in the longest or shortest stitch length.

Thank you so much for the replies! I uploaded a pic and tried to explain the situation. I used to be able to change the stitch length but ran the machine while doing so, now it seems jammed when turning the hand wheel while holding the plunger down. There was no screw in the first hole I pointed out. I used the screw for the oil guard, screwed it in and it went in a decent amount, put everything back together but still no changes.. I just don't know what else to do or should I try and find the proper regulating screw online? I believe there was no screw there to begin with, I was able to get pretty short stitches, I believe the max is 12 or 14 to the inch. If the screw was there, i would've been only able to get 7 per inch. any ideas?

Just an fyi, its stuck on the longest stitch length. Also this is the top of what I saw where the plunger pin would go down into (into the notch that pushes down). So.. before i took the cover off, I push the plunger and turn the hand wheel, plunger then goes down all the way into the notch that pushes down, I stop and take the cover off. Just to give you an idea if something looks out of place or if something shifted when I ran the machine with plunger down. Sorry if it sounds confusing.

singer.jpg

Edited by audiohauz

You just have to get the cover on it & get the plunger in the groove & force the handwheel backwards (to shorten the stitch) as hard a you can & it will work again.

!

I tried this a few times, spent some time trying to figure it out but ill try again, maybe force a little harder. Be that I'm missing the regulating stop screw, does that make a difference? I'll keep you posted

7 minutes ago, CowboyBob said:

You just have to get the cover on it & get the plunger in the groove & force the handwheel backwards (to shorten the stitch) as hard a you can & it will work again.

!

I tried this a few times, spent some time trying to figure it out but ill try again, maybe force a little harder. Be that I'm missing the regulating stop screw, does that make a difference? I'll keep you posted

Usually the screw is in there & that's what makes it tight,but since it's missing then Yes you just need to force it backwards harder,remember it was a pretty strong force forward that made this happen.Do be afraid you won't hurt anything by going backwards since it jammed forward & your stuck on the long stitch length.Take the belt off hold the button & it'll hold itself & get both hands on it.

I can make a video and post to YouTube.  I've never had a problem doing it my way, and would like to share.  And I'm certainly not saying my way is the best way.

Thank you for all of your help and advice. I found a pair of gloves with rubber grip and was able to get a grasp on the wheel and turn it in the opposite direction. So happy it works! 

Again I really appreciate your input!

Great,I knew you could get it fixed.

I tried to unjam the stitch regulator and with force  managed to wreck the plunger...undid the screws ...now it is still jammed  because I think I

did not put it together the way it was......it is a bit like trying to put a combination back together. I tried to find a service manual...no luck and I 

probably will never find the broken  part that is  likely the problem.

My advice is if nothing works in a jam dont ever use force as a last resort.  

dicouraged

Jammed stitch regulator...

tried the following:

forced the wheel backwards hard....broke the plunger

fixed the plunger......heated the stitch regulator 3 times to loosen

did not loosen...

tried liquid wrench to loosen....several times .....nothing

checked the horizontal shafts that control the dog ...ok...all good

timed the machine....all good makes a long stitch....( stuck there) in

long stitch mode......sews well.

I think I will need to take the stitch regulator apart to find jam....

I have not been able to find a diagram showing the detail of the 

stitch regulator parts. I know it must be like a car cam shaft...but 

how does it work in this machine.....?

I suspect that it might be debris  blocking a cam.

Any suggestions ?

Tried everything.....I guess that a perhaps a small metal debris is blocking

the movement of one of the cams.....puzzled but machine is stuck in long

stitch and works well for leather crafting.

Some day  I may solve the problem by taking the stitch regulator apart but

for now it will be happy for long stitch.

Thanks for taking  the time to send me suggestions.

Does anyone know if the stitching regulator contains bearings?  

i.e. needle bearings.....none of my manuals describe the internal parts

of the stitching regulator.....would be good to know before resorting to a 

tear down.

17 hours ago, brocken said:

Tried everything.....I guess that a perhaps a small metal debris is blocking

the movement of one of the cams.....puzzled but machine is stuck in long

stitch and works well for leather crafting.

Some day  I may solve the problem by taking the stitch regulator apart but

for now it will be happy for long stitch.

Thanks for taking  the time to send me suggestions.

Does anyone know if the stitching regulator contains bearings?  

i.e. needle bearings.....none of my manuals describe the internal parts

of the stitching regulator.....would be good to know before resorting to a 

tear down.

Are you pushing the plunger all the way down?

On 7/20/2021 at 3:29 AM, CowboyBob said:

Perhaps the repaired plunger is short....you may have the solution...

I am waiting for a new plunger then I will know.

thanks for the tip

On 7/20/2021 at 3:29 AM, CowboyBob said:

Yes....I can push the plunger all the way down with the new plunger.

I am in long stitch now, but I got there by removing the two screws on the gear nearest the hand wheel, 

lifting the little spring off of the ratchet and turning the ratchet by hand to get the long stitch. I originally

was   in point zero when the stitch regulator jam occurred.