Hello to everyone! Once again, Arthur Porter on You tube talks about his purchasing the Thor Industrial machine. I enjoy his videos. Does anyone know who manufactures the Thor, and are there equivalents. Just investigating it for now. I've stated that I have a consew 227r. I believe the Thor might take on heavier/thicker leather and seams?? Thanks to all of you for your advice. 

Not sure what model THOR your looking at?  But all you need to do is compare the specs of the (2) machines and if they take the same needle class (say 135X17)  then they will be very similar.

I checked out his latest sewing machine video and it is a THOR GC1541S Single Needle Walking Foot Sewing Machine. This is a clone of a Juki DNU-1541s. It has the same thread and thickness capabilities as your Consew 227r. It is identical to the well known Consew 206RB-5. The only difference is that this machine is a flat bed and yours is a cylinder arm. Despite any claims made in his video, the machine is rated for thread sizes 69 through 138, using needle system 135x16 and 17, with a maximum work thickness of 3/8 inch. IOW, a standard upholstery class walking foot machine.

As Arthur mentioned early on, his machine cannot sew across the top with the material folded over. I can sew that and much more with my Cowboy CB4500. It takes thread sizes 69 and UP (#69 is iffy. I recommend nothing under #92 or #138). It is able to sew from about 6-7 ounces to over 3/4 inch! That machine would be an upgrade for you.

If that is more machine than you'll need, look at the CB3200 instead. It is rated for the same thread sizes, but only sews up to 1/2 inch and comes with a full size table.

Thank You Yetibelle, I'm sorry I didn't specify the model Arthur had purchased. Duh!  My error!  )Thank You Wizcrafts! I'm SO happy you saw that particular video, because, the issue of going over those double thicknesses is exactly the same issue I continue to come across when making my leather purses, and other projects. I would Love to have a machine that sews flawlessly over those areas. I'll look at both of the models you've mentioned.  I really like what my Consew does, But, sometimes I just wish it would go through some "thicker" layers. I appreciate your help and honesty. Many Blessings to everyone and I will let you know if I end up purchasing. All the best to you both. LOVE this forum.  Suzanne )

I'm not a LW moderator, but if I was one, I'd give you a vendor neutral answer that you should look at Juki TSC-441 class machines as an upgrade in capability to your Consew 227r. Juki TSC-441 class machines are still sold as originals by Juki dealers, and also as copies under various brand names (THOR GA 441, Cowboy 4500, Cobra Class 4, Techsew 5100, and many others) by several vendors, some of which advertise in the banner ads or support the LW community in other ways. Because as a LW moderator, I'd be extra careful not to give the impression that I'm consistently generating leads for any particular vendor.  But that's all hypothetical, of course, because I'm not a LW moderator.

5 hours ago, onathread said:

Thank You Yetibelle, I'm sorry I didn't specify the model Arthur had purchased. Duh!  My error!  )Thank You Wizcrafts! I'm SO happy you saw that particular video, because, the issue of going over those double thicknesses is exactly the same issue I continue to come across when making my leather purses, and other projects. I would Love to have a machine that sews flawlessly over those areas. I'll look at both of the models you've mentioned.  I really like what my Consew does, But, sometimes I just wish it would go through some "thicker" layers. I appreciate your help and honesty. Many Blessings to everyone and I will let you know if I end up purchasing. All the best to you both. LOVE this forum.  Suzanne )

We all go through this struggle to find a sewing machine that does it all, especially sewing very thick seams with heavy thread. At first glance, one would think that a typical walking foot machine is able to do both. Then you find out that it just ain't so. Industrial sewing machines designed to do different kinds of sewing, and usually only one kind best. You've already found the limits in your Consew (and its equivalents). To sew thicker requires a much bigger machine. Here's why...

Upholstery class machines are built with upholsterers in mind. They sew Naugahyde, clear vinyl, duck cloth, awnings, sail cloth, banners, leather seat covers and zippers that average about 1/16 to 1/4 inches thick at the seams. They usually sew thinner and lighter weight items with 11 pound test #69 bonded thread. Zippers tend to be sewn in with 15 pound #92 thread because of the stress closing the zipper. Heavier jobs, like motorcycle and ATV seats are usually sewn with 22 pound test #138 thread. It is this narrow range of thread sizes that the walking foot machines handle best.

The maximum thickness that can be sewn on an upholstery class walking foot machine can be deceptive to the uninitiated. You see, most of these triple feed machines can lift the feet and needle 1/2 inch above the throat plate and feed dog. Until one learns how the feet operate, one may think that the machine can actually sew what is under the raised feet. Not so, dear plebe. Because the feet must alternate up and down to move the material along, about 1/8 inch of sewing clearance is lost from the get go. That is a modest guess. Some of us set the alternating lift much higher to clear new layers, or big drop offs coming off of thick side seams. The higher the alternating lift of the feet, the lower the maximum sewable thickness may be (depending on compressibility of the material).

Since almost all upholstery jobs are under 3/8 inch (except for occasional big seams in blue jeans cuffs), that is what the major manufactures build into their machines. There are exceptions, such as the Juki LU-1508NS, which uses a longer System 190 needle, has more clearance inside the head and is able to actually sew at 1/2 inch, with the feet still alternating and feeding the work. The machine has a specially designed hook that is meant to use #207 bonded thread on top and in the bobbin.

To fill the need for a truly heavy duty walking foot machine, people woodshedded and came up with some novel high lift designs in the late 1980s. Adler developed the model 205-370 (and the sub model 374 with a smooth feed dog) and Juki came out with their TSC-441. Ferdinand JeanBlanc cannibalized a 441 in 1991 and created the Ferdinand Bull that featured a jumping foot and needle feed. Someone else built a Number Nine machine with a high lift jump foot and needle feed. When that went under, Tony Luberto took over the development of the machine and released the Luberto Classic. All these machines were able to not just clear, but sew up to 3/4 inch of real leather, with just the needle and feed mechanism. All had price tags to match the workmanship ranging from $5500 to $8500 new.

In those days, if you wanted to use a machine to sew very thick leather, you either bought one of the aforementioned machines, or you went full steam ahead with a Union Lockstitch, a Randall or Cyclone Lockstitch (now Campbell Randall), a Landis 3 or 16, or a curved needle Landis 12, or an American Straight Needle machine (or Champion equivalent to those). These machines ranged in price from $5000 to $15,000 new and weighed between 400 and 600 pounds on a table or 3 legged power stand. All had a needle and awl feed system.

This brings us to the hear and now, where because of Chinese knockoffs, a budding holster maker can buy a brand new Cobra, Techsew, Cowboy, Nick-o-Sew, Thor, or Hoshimoto Ah-so clone of the Juki 441 for as little as $1700 to $2700, depending on the build and accessories. Or, you can buy a for realsies Juki TSC-441 for about $6000, or the newest super wazoomie Adler 969 for $12,000. All will easily clear 3/4 inch and more and sew with #415 bonded thread, which has a half million pounds breaking strength (not really).

1 hour ago, Uwe said:

I'm not a LW moderator, but if I was one, I'd give you a vendor neutral answer that you should look at Juki TSC-441 class machines as an upgrade in capability to your Consew 227r. Juki TSC-441 class machines are still sold as originals by Juki dealers, and also as copies under various brand names (THOR GA 441, Cowboy 4500, Cobra Class 4, Techsew 5100, and many others) by several vendors, some of which advertise in the banner ads or support the LW community in other ways. Because as a LW moderator, I'd be extra careful not to give the impression that I'm consistently generating leads for any particular vendor.  But that's all hypothetical, of course, because I'm not a LW moderator.

Says he who injected his own brand of inline feet into a topic I started about Cowboy inline feet.

Maybe you should become a moderator then. You seem to be qualified. Why don't you ask Johanna? Then you can tell me to shut up.

Thank You both! Love having the education on the differences in machines. ) I'm definitely going to research these models. Can't Thank everyone enough! )

Techsew 5100 seems to offer a nice package as well. Any comments on service and support if one were to choose between Techsew 5100 vs. CB4500, or just ones preference? I've been reading a lot of the views here on the LW and just want to make sure the Techsew is as good as the CB. You know, it its a lot of money. It seems CB might be the way to go. I'm in the St. Louis area. Purchased my Consew from Nick o sewing. Again, I THANK all of you for your input, and I won't bother you any further with my questions. Love your input Wizcrafts! Thx )

Just realized, the nick o 441 cylinder has been discussed. You all have a terrific weekend! )