Chelsie44

Tooled Wedges/Leather Wedges

Has anyone made tooled wedges/high heels? If so do you take the shoe apart and make new straps all together or just glue the leather on the strap that is already on the shoe?

I am looking to learn more about this process https://cowgirlmagazine.com/tooled-to-high-heel-heaven/ 

The link is just an example, not my work!

Thank you!!

Edited by Chelsie44

They are probably built from scratch. I saw Denny from Springfield leather was working on something like that on Instagram. You could get a pair of shoes and take them apart to find how they are put together and work from that. I doubt there are a lot of ready made patterns out there.

I wouldn't be afraid to buy a cheap pair of heals somewhere and cut off the top and try sewing to what's left.

I've done numerous repairs/builds of ladies shoes. The pictures look like 1-2 pairs were traced, then sewn on, while the others appear to be done from scratch. I agree with Mattsbagger and Woodysworkshop that a cheap pair of heels (Value Village or Salvation Army) is a good way to practise. If you do it well, they can be resold.

23 hours ago, Chelsie44 said:

Has anyone made tooled wedges/high heels? If so do you take the shoe apart and make new straps all together or just glue the leather on the strap that is already on the shoe?

I am looking to learn more about this process https://cowgirlmagazine.com/tooled-to-high-heel-heaven/ 

The link is just an example, not my work!

Thank you!!

Just quickly... in the past (20+years ago now I had a show repair business and one of the big area's was colour changing and material covering shoes for weddings and such. After this I went into a lot of shoe making. In this case if you do not have a good knowledge of shoe repairing already the first place to start is getting friendly with a shoe repairer. Back then the range of shoes that could be pulled apart without destroying was getting difficult and the methods of making shoes today would have narrowed that field even more. A good pair of well made shoes with a pair of nail pullers/pincers should only take 5 minutes to pull apart but if you want the heel off that is a whole lot more time and tools to get apart and back together. You could make altogether new straps if you wanted but attaching the straps onto the existing would be easier more often and what looks to have been done in the link you have here. Regards Brian