GrayHallidayJr

Blonde Girl Guitar Strap

Awesome detailing!  And I have antiquing envy... it looks like you have the resist techniques down pat.  Care to school me on how it should be done?

YinTx

Absolutely amazing 

2 hours ago, YinTx said:

it looks like you have the resist techniques down pat.  Care to school me on how it should be done?

I stain the artwork then apply Fiebing’s Pro-Resist. Then antique around/over. Then seal with a clear gloss.

59 minutes ago, Fire88 said:

Absolutely amazing 

Thank you.

She's a hottie! :wub:. Nice work!!

Nice work again sir.

Beautiful, very nice.

On 10/28/2017 at 11:14 PM, JD62 said:

She's a hottie! :wub:. Nice work!!

Thank you. For me, female faces are the most difficult thing to carve. I catch myself holding my breath while carving the face. It has to be so delicate. With female faces, I find fewer cuts are better.

The modeling spoon discolors dampened leather “aging” the skin and also inhibits stain absorption- so I try to use it sparingly.

On 10/29/2017 at 5:03 AM, Bodean said:

Nice work again sir.

Thank you. 

5 hours ago, NeilMac said:

Beautiful, very nice.

Thank you. 

You have done it again sir. Awesome work of art!

Hi Gray, we chatted on Facebook about your process. i haven't been on this site in a long time. I'm so confused about this process, I came to post and ask some questions,,, that you already answered. I tried. hmmmm. but like a couple others....envious. again, nice job

On 10/28/2017 at 11:21 PM, GrayHallidayJr said:

I stain the artwork then apply Fiebing’s Pro-Resist. Then antique around/over. Then seal with a clear gloss.

I hadn't heard of Pro Resist.  Is it more like a resolene or a Clear-Lac?  Either way, I am learning that the skill used to apply it is as important as the resist, and I haven't broken the code yet with Resists.  Yours is well done.

YinTx

Gray, you have an original, unique style that's readily discernible in all your work.   To my way of thinking, that is as impressive as the work itself.   Actually......? it's more impressive.  Not to impune anyone else's work, just saying it's a fairly rare thing to see.   

Edited by cseeger

On 10/31/2017 at 5:56 PM, dragonspit said:

Hi Gray, we chatted on Facebook about your process. i haven't been on this site in a long time. I'm so confused about this process, I came to post and ask some questions,,, that you already answered. I tried. hmmmm. but like a couple others....envious. again, nice job

Thank you. Patience. I don't always have it. Take your time applying the resist with a brush. And let dry. Add another coat. Repeat.

On 10/31/2017 at 7:59 PM, YinTx said:

I hadn't heard of Pro Resist.  Is it more like a resolene or a Clear-Lac?  Either way, I am learning that the skill used to apply it is as important as the resist, and I haven't broken the code yet with Resists.  Yours is well done.

YinTx

Pro Resist is thicker than the clear lac or sheen stuff. If you add three or four layers it starts to build up kind of like a plastic coating. It can really pull up the colors from the stained leather. It gives it a depth. Also, you can get a cool fading effect by applying intense heat to drying sheen or resist. I will sometimes place the piece next to a fire just after applying. It gets darker in the cuts and corners.

On 11/1/2017 at 5:51 AM, tearghost said:

As always your work is truly amazing I can only hope to one day be as good as you are.

Thank you.

On 11/2/2017 at 8:56 PM, stoney4325 said:

That's awesome

Thank you.

On 11/4/2017 at 8:23 PM, cseeger said:

Gray, you have an original, unique style that's readily discernible in all your work.   To my way of thinking, that is as impressive as the work itself.   Actually......? it's more impressive.  Not to impune anyone else's work, just saying it's a fairly rare thing to see.   

That is a very nice compliment. Thank you. My style hasn't evolved since I was 12.

Edited by GrayHallidayJr

On 10/31/2017 at 9:19 PM, SJL said:

Inspirational, thanks for sharing.

Thank you.