Rossr

Old stamp?

I have had this stamp for a while.   It appears quite old to me at least.   No plating.  No names, numbers or any markings on it.   The end you would hammer was ground almost to a point which I found odd.   I am assuming this was a one off made by a tool maker.  Figured some others might like to see it.  If anyone knows anything about it, age or what not Feel free to share.

Ross

image.png

Hey Rossr,

The reasoning behind the pointed striking surface is to 'direct' the energy more efficiently towards the stamp surface. I don't find it that it helps much, since the majority of the time, the maul/hammer slips of off the surface. Same theory would apply to a nail without a head, sure, it would direct the energy 'better', but it would increase the likelihood of missing and smashing your thumb.

As to the nature of the stamp, I seem to recall the design, but it looks like either a one-off, or a heavily modified/misused production stamp-- a stamp that has had it's surface defaced. But I would lean towards the one-off theory.

Thanks for sharing!

-JW

Thanks for the response Jw,  I can see your point :) in regards to the point end.   If nothing else it is neat to see things like this at least to me.

Ross

Wouldn't that pointed end stamp, cause more noticeable wear on your maul or mallet as well. 

But a sharp file on that point, would eleviate this. ;-)

Chas

Wondering if it started life out as something entirely different, like a large nail/spike?  Blunted the tip, and filed/carved the head end into the shape it is now?

Folks have been making stamps from nails, bolts, and other odd items like valve stems for a long time....

YinTx

I vote it started out as a rod out of a engine, lol.

It tapers towards the "design end", not many ( any AFAIAAO ) valves / " rods" taper towards the "face" end..although non sodium filled valves are very good for making your own stamps.