ClayB

Monthly Floral Carving Challenge

Here is a similar pattern that was created for the kid's workshop at Sheridan a number of years ago. Had to hunt around to find it. It was created to introduce beginners to the basics of leather carving.

Jim L.

elktracks__Medium_.jpg

post-5-1204427042_thumb.jpg

There's a reason for the similarity, Jim. I got that pattern from your class, but changed it a bit to fit a project I was doing at the time. Did you draw the original one?

Kathy

"It was created to introduce beginners to the basics of leather carving."

Jim, Everytime I look at your work I am totally inspired, for two months my desktop background has been your knife sheath but now I think it's time for an update! (this carving)

I can just look at your carvings and pick up a hundred tips... Every swivel knife cut is finished off and tapered, your backgrounding fades ever so gently, just amazing!

Hopefully One day Jim, I will be able to take one of your classes... You will know it's me I will be wearing a party hat and the big grin! :w00t:

Thanks again!

There's a reason for the similarity, Jim. I got that pattern from your class, but changed it a bit to fit a project I was doing at the time. Did you draw the original one?

Kathy

Kathy,

Yes, this is one that came out of my head. I have a couple of other beginners patterns that were created for that class. If I can find them, I will post them.

Jim

Kathy,

Yes, this is one that came out of my head. I have a couple of other beginners patterns that were created for that class. If I can find them, I will post them.

Jim

Things like that don't come out of my head, Jim. Maybe if my head was run over with a steam roller something artistic would pop out! I don't think I'll try that, I'll just keep struggling!

Kathy

Now here is my flower......

February_Floral_Challenge.jpg

I put a little bit Leather Glow on it.

Gesa

post-130-1202074277_thumb.jpg

Here is my rendition of the Floral Carving Challenge. I finished mine out though. Also, I'm not sure what the guidelines are here, but I don't trace much. I did trace the flower and the leaf as to maintain some adherence to the pattern, but after that I carved my own stems. Sorry, no intentions of hurting anyones feelings, I just do it better that way. Never have been much on tracing, it doesn't allow me to lay out my pattern to fit my project. Anyhow, here are a few pictures of my go at the carving.

Floral_Carving_1.JPG

Floral_Carving_2_2.JPG

Floral_carving_3.JPG

Floral_Carving_4.JPG

post-5335-1202077285_thumb.jpg

post-5335-1202077438_thumb.jpg

post-5335-1202077447_thumb.jpg

post-5335-1202077455_thumb.jpg

It's pretty neat that we are getting people from around the world playing with this. Thanks Gesa for showing us you your flower. Seems like it's been awhile since I have seen anything from you. The lion you did in the other challenge turned out really nice too.

Tracy, the rule here is pretty much anything goes. Show your own style. So changing the pattern however you like is just fine, and even encouraged. Thanks for playing along and sharing your project.

DSC03500.JPG

Hi All,

Here's my version. I had forgotten how much goes into floral, it's been a long time since I did any. I need more practice , maybe I'll do another western seat.

ShirleyZ

post-92-1202156473_thumb.jpg

Shirley,

For not doing floral very often, that sure turned out pretty . I'm kinda glad the blonde thing got you to play. But I keep finding myself peeking out the window to make sure there isn't a black limo with Nevada plates sitting in my yard and some big mean bouncer type guy looking to rough me up :fish:

TRACY_ You're and ANIMAL!!!! I LOVE the way that you used the thumbprints. Looks like you used a jack hammer on 15oz. leather.

I mean it. I LOVE THE LOOK!!!!!! Gave me an idea for another project.

thanks for the show

by the way- how and with what did you finish it?? Color is great.

pea-aire'

Edited by pete

Pete, as for finishing on this piece, I died the background w/ Mahogany Fiebings professional oil dye. Then I applied a light coat of warm neatsfoot oil. ( I always use heated neats foot, I have an electric kettle that stays on the lowest setting full of oil.) I then applied a hearty helping of Clear Lac (LCi). Let that set for several hours or overnight, Apply Fiebings mahogany Antique Finish. Make sure to get it in alll you cuts. Wipe off excess. Make sure you get it off all the raised surfaces. Let dry for several hours. Apply a good coat of Tan-Kote. Let dry, and that s about it. The Tan-kote will thin down the antique finish so don't worry if it looks like too much. I use woolskin scraps for all my application processes.

IMGP2549.JPGI figured I'd carve up a piece for this also. I printed the pattern this AM and gave it a quick work over to suit my style a little better. I still think the pattern could use some work to suit me, for what I look for in a pattern the flower is to small compared for the leaf and the scroll is to large for the pattern. I was going to just use the same flower and leaf and draw a new pattern. I decided that to keep in the spirit of thing I would addapt the pattern that was given us. So I am nto 100% happy with the layout. anyways let me know what you think.

Steve

post-1787-1202167361_thumb.jpg

Steve,

Really looks nice, I especially like the oval flower center. It adds certain angle depth to the flowers position.

OK, I guess my hat is in too.....

I have only carved about 3 things that would be considered, traditional floral....this is number 3.

Be gentle, but tell me what you think!

floral_feb_2008_1.jpg

floral_feb_2008_2.jpg

post-5734-1202434673_thumb.jpg

post-5734-1202434689_thumb.jpg

Looks good, now emboss it. ;)

Like Froghunter, I don't do a lot of "traditional" carving... I'm definitely much more stylized in what I tool. So this is my first floral.

Here goes...

feb_floral.jpg

feb_floral_2.jpg

post-4015-1202439585_thumb.jpg

post-4015-1202439620_thumb.jpg

HPIM0222.JPGSteve Mason talked me into tapping one out for this deal so here it goes. I'm not too sure that I like the flower center that I chose. And as usual I STRUGGLE with my dress cuts. Oh yeah and the old push beader tried to run away on me. :unsure: I also changed the original pattern a bit to suit my style(I don't even know if I have any style)

post-3534-1202448025_thumb.jpg

Edited by Elton Joorisity

I finally got around to trying this one too. I changed the pattern too, but I hope I didn't kill it like Freak did the lion :skull3: .

floral_003__Large_.jpg

post-12-1202679554_thumb.jpg

Great flower center. Where did you get it or did you make it?

pete

It's from Barry King. He has a lot of cool flower centers, I should get a couple more. That one is fairly simple, but I like it.

tried out a couple new tools o got for my birthday and did another one.

DSC03664.jpg

Oh man - that is really nice, and mine looks really crappy coming right after yours, but I'm going to cowboy up and post it anyway, you poor people:

IMG_06781.jpg

It's just amazing how many different looks everybody got with the same pattern. It's been instructive looking through them all.

post-5309-1204316953_thumb.jpg