wolfsdenleather

Thumb Break Shoulder Holster 1911 Pattern and Advice

Hey! I'm trying to make my first shoulder rig. My brother-in-law has asked me for a setup for a double 1911 shoulder holster with thumb break and to make things more difficult, he wants the holsters detachable to wear on his belt. I can do OWB and IWB all day but wrapping my mind around making a pattern for this request has me blanking out. Can anyone help me out?

Never made one. The ones I've seen with detachable holsters use a D ring. The also had belt slots for OWB. Idk if this help at all. If I can find pics of the rig I will post it or link it.

Thanks Bud! That is a great idea to look at. Maybe add a third slot mid of the top 2 connection slots and just make that bottom slot big enough to take a belt? I'm going to dig around for some scrap to try it out.

This is the pattern I use for shoulder rigs. The holster attaches to the harness via a snap down belt loop, sort of like a Buscadero rig.

http://smokewagonleather.us/holsters/Uberti 357 Shoulder Rig.html

A lot of things sound good in theory.  But in practice not so much.  If he wears it OWB a lot the holsters will bend to his waist.  That is going to be less comfortable on a shoulder holster, causing the wings to dig into the side.  IMO, I would try to talk him into 2 separate holsters.  I rarely ever do multi purpose holsters.  Because they don't do both things well, they only do both marginally.  Holsters need to be specific to the task at hand, and only one task IMO.  

18 hours ago, chiefjason said:

A lot of things sound good in theory.  But in practice not so much.  If he wears it OWB a lot the holsters will bend to his waist.  That is going to be less comfortable on a shoulder holster, causing the wings to dig into the side.  IMO, I would try to talk him into 2 separate holsters.  I rarely ever do multi purpose holsters.  Because they don't do both things well, they only do both marginally.  Holsters need to be specific to the task at hand, and only one task IMO.  

Yet another important thing to remember. Thank you sir for pointing that out. 

22 hours ago, CaptQuirk said:

This is the pattern I use for shoulder rigs. The holster attaches to the harness via a snap down belt loop, sort of like a Buscadero rig.

22 hours ago, CaptQuirk said:

That is a sharp looking rig. I like the tooling work you've done the others too.

On ‎10‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 0:11 PM, wolfsdenleather said:

Thanks Bud! That is a great idea to look at. Maybe add a third slot mid of the top 2 connection slots and just make that bottom slot big enough to take a belt? I'm going to dig around for some scrap to try it out.

Those slots do look small, like they might be for a smaller strap that ties to the waist belt.