SouthernCross

Where to get Chicago screws for fastening straps?

Can someone tell me, specifically please, what kind of screws I need to get in order to fasten the belt straps to an OWB holster?  I think they're called Chicago screws, but I have no idea if those are indeed what I need nor do I know what size and length and where to get them from.

Thanks in advance.

Tandy has them. Also buckle guy and many others. But without pic of what you are trying to accomplish it's hard to tell. You might need T nuts and 6/32 screws.

36 minutes ago, Mattsbagger said:

Tandy has them. Also buckle guy and many others. But without pic of what you are trying to accomplish it's hard to tell. You might need T nuts and 6/32 screws.

I want to make something like this (Wes, I hope you don't mind be borrowing your picture):

privateer.jpg

Edited by SouthernCross

The holster shown in the photo is commonly referred to as a snap-loop pancake style, an OWB design popular with those appreciating the ability to put the holster on or take it off without unfastening the belt.

Belt loops can be either integral to the holster body or separate, as shown in the photo. Using separate loops allows for easy replacement of the belt loops as they become worn in use, thus maximizing the useful life of the holster.

Probably the easiest way of attaching the belt loops is by using T-nuts and machine screws. I found that #6-32 machine screws of 3/8" length worked very well. The T-nut is installed to the "wings" of the holster body. The machine screw can be inserted through the mounting hole of the snap stud, then screwed down to the T-nut and completing the installation.

A good resource for T-nuts and machine screws is Bolt Depot (boltdepot.com). These products are sold in boxes of 100 each at pretty reasonable cost. Otherwise you can go to a well-stocked hardware store and purchase these products individually, but expect to pay considerably more for the convenience.

One lesson learned during my years in the holster business (1972 to 2015) was that hardware failures were, by far, the most common causes of warranty returns. Snaps break, screws become lost or stripped out by repeated tightening, belt clips become irretrievably damaged, etc. Keeping a ready supply of those hardware items regularly used can make your life much simpler and easier in the long run.

Best regards.

Lowes or a hardware store with a good faster selection should have them.

A grinder or a file can make the heads fit in the fastner .

Edited by dougb

Lowe's?  Lawd have mercy - the one local to me is pitiful - I'd have a better chance of finding some in the local bookstore.  LOL

I do have an ACE Hardware near my work that I can check out, though. 

And thanks for the info on filing them down. 

Lowe’s and Home Depot usually have them for a ridiculous price.  ACE has the tee nuts and Chicago screws for a good price.  But dont call them Chicago screws, or they’ll look at you like you called their mama a name.  They call them “posts with screws”.  But for the price, you get a good deal usually. 

1 hour ago, Bayou Bengal said:

Lowe’s and Home Depot usually have them for a ridiculous price.  ACE has the tee nuts and Chicago screws for a good price.  But dont call them Chicago screws, or they’ll look at you like you called their mama a name.  They call them “posts with screws”.  But for the price, you get a good deal usually. 

Chicago screws, Aka screw posts, aka posts with screws.

Tandy, buckleguy, saddlery trade suppliers, and you may find them at craft stores too... or book binding suppliers, it is very common to use screw posts in that business.

But all in small volume... means more $$$.

For my 2c, it pays to buy more in bulk and have a bunch of these in different colours and sizes on hand... trust me  there is nothing worse than having to place a whole order where the shipping price is 10x more than the item, after already going out if your way hunting around town just because you need one 3.5mm brass screwpost and all you can find is 5mm nickel plated... #lessonslearned.

1 hour ago, Wedgetail said:

Chicago screws, Aka screw posts, aka posts with screws.

Tandy, buckleguy, saddlery trade suppliers, and you may find them at craft stores too... or book binding suppliers, it is very common to use screw posts in that business.

But all in small volume... means more $$$.

For my 2c, it pays to buy more in bulk and have a bunch of these in different colours and sizes on hand... trust me  there is nothing worse than having to place a whole order where the shipping price is 10x more than the item, after already going out if your way hunting around town just because you need one 3.5mm brass screwpost and all you can find is 5mm nickel plated... #lessonslearned.

This is a good point.  It’s why I started buying locally.  Now, anytime I make a purchase at buckleguy or somewhere online, I just throw in a couple packs of screws, since I am paying for shipping anyway.  

Since nobody has mentioned it, those are also pull the dot snaps.  I use the 6/32 screw and t nut to attach most of mine.  But recently ordered some 8/32 that work for the same purpose to streamline the parts I have to keep on hand.  Also, be warned the posts for the cap and post come in different lengths.  For use with leather you will need a cap with a longer post than some folks carry.  And some places don't even list the post length so pay attention.  You can order them straight from Skovill but it's a $50 minimum order.  Ifitthermoplastics.com also carries them in smaller quantities and they have the 8/32 screws that work with them.  As a bonus the screws are black if you are using black snaps.  

On 10/30/2017 at 7:52 AM, SouthernCross said:

I want to make something like this (Wes, I hope you don't mind be borrowing your picture):

privateer.jpg

I don't mind at all. ;)

I have clearly not been on the forum for a while, though -- this was back in October, and I didn't see it until now!

I use t-nuts where the snaps attach, and the Chicago screw as a secondary attachment point to keep the strap from freewheeling. The Chicago screws, I believe, have a post that is 3/16" in diameter and 1/4" in length. They work well for the purpose.

I buy all my hardware off OhioTravel Bag.com  They have just about everything you will need. If you buy by the 100 it is cheaper.

Jim