I finished this recently for an order, they were so happy they've ordered another in a different colour.  I'm quite thrilled with how it turned out.

we.jpg

we2.jpg

we3.jpg

we4.jpg

we5.jpg

Beautiful work

12 minutes ago, Halitech said:

Beautiful work

Thank you, this is probably the best one I've made yet, or at least on par with the best.

That’s a smashing bag! Great job.

I was looking for  a pattern for a bag like that for myself. Is it your own pattern or did you buy it?

Really nice work.  What type of leather have you made it from?  T

2 hours ago, KingsCountyLeather said:

That’s a smashing bag! Great job.

I was looking for  a pattern for a bag like that for myself. Is it your own pattern or did you buy it?

Thank you!

It's my own pattern.  I've certainly been inspired by similar bags and I'm sure I'm not the first person to make a bag this way but there was no pattern, nor did I copy anything I'd seen directly.  I used to make similar bags out of 2 big pieces but recently I've started doing them out of the 5 pieces and I'm much happier.  While it does require more sewing I really enjoy the way the seams frame the sides and give the bag a little shape, as well it's a lot more efficient for leather usage vs just 2 big pieces.

I have another one ordered from a client that I'll be starting in about 2-3 weeks so I'll try to snag some pics and video and perhaps do a quick how-to if anyone wanted to see it.

52 minutes ago, Tpc said:

Really nice work.  What type of leather have you made it from?  T

Thanks for the kind words.

I'm not sure exactly where it comes from but it's a distressed brown oil tan.  It marks very easily, and the marks rub out with use so it's perfect for  bag that's going to get marked up anyway through use.  My supplier carries it in stock in two colours, this and a toffee colour, so it's super convenient.  It's about a 4oz, very soft.

Did you use a sewing machine for any of it?

Just now, KingsCountyLeather said:

Did you use a sewing machine for any of it?

Pretty much all of it.  Much as I love hand sewing my hands go numb after about 10 minutes so it's never going to be practical for me to do.  Plus because the pieces are joined with a semi-felled flat seam to give that nice rolled look and hide the raw edge they all have to get sewn twice.

5 minutes ago, venator said:

Pretty much all of it.  Much as I love hand sewing my hands go numb after about 10 minutes so it's never going to be practical for me to do.  Plus because the pieces are joined with a semi-felled flat seam to give that nice rolled look and hide the raw edge they all have to get sewn twice.

Thanks, I’m looking out for a good leather sewing machine as my hands go numb also. I have an old singer twin needle post machine, but the stitch selector keeps slipping. I will wait for a machine that will work with all leathers.

good luck with your new bags.

2 hours ago, KingsCountyLeather said:

Thanks, I’m looking out for a good leather sewing machine as my hands go numb also. I have an old singer twin needle post machine, but the stitch selector keeps slipping. I will wait for a machine that will work with all leathers.

good luck with your new bags.

Thanks. Our Adler 467 is a pretty solid all purpose but we want to add a cylinder arm and are looking at a cobra, cowboy, or techsew in the class 4 range

Great work!

Very nice bag! 

Great piece of work.

I especially like the relaxed styling, not to mention a great choice for the lining 

6 hours ago, Leatherhips said:

Great piece of work.

I especially like the relaxed styling, not to mention a great choice for the lining 

Thanks.  I'm a big fan of this style of bag.  Though I do need to develop one that's a bit more structured for the folks who like that.  The lining was the client's choice.  I routinely hit the fabric stores and scoop up the end of bolt sale items and that was one, then I can let them pick through and pick the one they want. 

great looking work!

nice

On 11/8/2017 at 6:59 PM, venator said:

Thanks

how the lining inside is set? glued? sewed? I have an interest of knowing different lining techniques  ))

1 hour ago, nrk said:

how the lining inside is set? glued? sewed? I have an interest of knowing different lining techniques  ))

In the past I've done linings with interfacing to stiffen them but with this type of bag I don't find that necessary.  I just do a turned lining out of just the fabric and use a plate in the bottom the same size as the base that rests inside the bag to help it keep it's shape.  The drop in plate is in a fabric sleeve that matches the lining so it blends nicely.  I find between that and just the overall shape the lining doesn't have to be particularly stiff.