tardis86

Edc gun belt

I'm considering making a gun belt for myself over winter, I know it would be cheaper to buy one, but what's the fun in that... Anyway I know I need to make it 2 layers then stitch together, but what weight should I use and what part of the hide?

Thanks. 

And any other tips are appreciated

Just like everything else, it depends.  What do you intend to carry? Where are you intending to carry it.  Is it for concealment or open carry.  Big (heavy) pistol or belly gun?  Give us a bit more to go on so we don't send you down the wrong road.

I usually carry either a 9mm or a 38 special on the own and cover it with my shirt. I'm about 150lbs soaking wet. I don't carry big guns

Then I'd think a 7 oz firm leather should work if you're going to line it.  Probably just a 1 1/2 in straight belt, I'm assuming?

Yea I thought people stitched two pieces together so it was stiffer. Idk

If you really want to line it, go with 2 layers of 5oz. That way you are only buying 1 piece of leather. 10oz for a small gun should be more then enough. If not, get a piece of saddle skirting (12-14oz) and line it with 2-3oz veg tan

You can make it as stiff as you want, but it all depends on what you want the final result to be.  If you want a dress belt that you can hang a holster on, it's one thing.  If you want to have a drop rig for quick draw or show, it's entirely another. There is no one correct answer until you define a few other parameters.  Are you intending to carry a sub-compact 9 mm inside your waistband or a full sized 9 on your hip?  Want to add magazine pouches? I'd love to help you but I've got to know more.

Everyone has their own preferences of course, but I usually only make mine 1 1/2" wide so that they fit in all pants instead of just some pants. If the total weight of the leather is at least 10oz you will be fine. 12 oz is better. If I know its going to a guy who carries I usually put a stiffener between the belt and the liner. Just some poster board works fine. I'm not sure the stiffener is really necessary but its easy to do. Good luck!

yea ill be carrying a sub compact 9mm or a 38 special. sometimes iwb sometimes owb. occasionally ill add a magazine pouch.

sounds like overall 10-12 should be ok from what im reading.

should i get a belly or back cut? which will end up being stiffer?

6 minutes ago, Mattsbagger said:

NO BELLY! Get a back or bend. 

gotcha!

I tend to make mine of 2 layers of 6/7oz laminated and sewn.  That’s where I’ve found to be the sweet spot.  

46 minutes ago, tardis86 said:

Laminated?

Glue the rough sides together and sew it. Smooth out on both sides.

I made a IWB holster for my .40 S&W MP Shield. I used saddle skirting, rough cut big enough to fold around the weapon. I then took the weapon (UNLOADED of course!) and VERY IMPORTANT - taped a flat carpenter's pencil between the rear sight and front blade sight to make a draw channel. I covered the entire weapon in saran wrap to protect it. I took the leather and made it soaking wet, and folded it around the weapon, keeping the "back" side (which would go against my body) flat, and wet-forming the "front" side to the weapon, using my fingers and round smoothing tools, being careful to form the wet leather tightly to the trigger guard inside as well as out. (When it dries, these points of the formed leather will create a natural weapon retention.) I then clamped everything in position and gave it a few hours to dry a bit. When the leather tolerated some handling while still retaining its shape, I very carefully "opened" the leather just enough to remove the saran-wrapped weapon and closed and clamped the leather back together and left it for 2 days to dry.  Once completely dry, you can manipulate the holster, cutting it to fit the length of the barrel, leaving a "tail" to protect your side from the grips, trimming the overall holster, setting out your stitching channels, dyeing the leather, setting rivets at stress points, etc. 

This holster is my edc, and I am looking forward to making more for my other carry tools.