Sign in to follow this  
Ed in Tx

Question Regarding Exotic Leather Products and the European Union

Needing some help with regard to the regulations in the European Union and finished products made with exotic leather. I have been asked by a customer to make a wallet that they want to send to a relative in the EU as a Christmas gift. I know regulations are different in the EU with regard to exotic leathers and I would hate to have someone buy a wallet from me only to have it confiscated by customs. I mentioned the issue to the customer and they said that their mother-in-law was actually going to take the wallet back with her when she returned. I told them customs could just as easily confiscate it from her.. maybe he wants her locked up?? 

In any case does anyone have any experience with this and if so what are the basic regulations.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Ed

Put the following line into Google,

prohibited species items imports EU

that will get you a page of results of which many are pdf files relating to EU regulations covering imports ( or not ) of prohibited and or restricted items involving many things , including what are known as "animal based products"..Some countries apply extra prohibition and or restrictions, you'll need to know the country.

The problem is not limited to potential "confiscation", some items can also involve major fines and or possible jail time for the person attempting to bring / pass the items through customs.

Edited by mikesc

Basic regulations; bringing into the EU [including the UK] anything at all made from a protected species, endangered species or associated endangered species WILL attract a hefty fine [can be $5000 or more and and a custodial sentence which might be suspended] Alligator / crocodile / elephant / bear / praire dog / neraly all snakes / walrus / seal / whale  are just some of the animals which are listed. The customs people take this very seriously and prosecute every single case through the courts

An old product, eg carved ivory, can be brought into the EU as long as the item is over 100 years old, has a certificate of authenticity saying so and has government paper work confirming it. A licence to bring it into the EU has to applied for before it is brought - this can take up to 3 years to get

Essentially; stick to cow/horse/indian buffalo/camel leather, either plain or impressed patterned [eg faux snakeskin pattern cow leather]

Thanks Mike and Fred...

I guess the regulations are a LOT more stringent then here in the US. That shouldn't really surprise me as some states here in the US have regulations that are more stringent than what the actual federal regulations are. Several states have outlawed exotics that are allowed under CITE regulations including the ones you both mention.

As much as I would like to make this person a wallet I would hate to be responsible for someone ending up in jail and getting stuck with a substantial fine.

Thanks guys I appreciate your input very much.

Ed