auzoo

Cowboy 3200

Does Cobra have a model that has the same specs as the CB3200? The class 26 looks to be for lighter weight. I am trying to find a place I can go online and place an order for this type of machine and use my PayPal, because I don't use credit cards. I may have to buy the class 4 through Springfield leather, because that's the only place I have found that I can put it in the cart and pay. Thanks

I clicked on one of the advertising links here and found this. Is the techsew the same as the CB3200? TECHSEW 3650HD HEAVY LEATHER INDUSTRIAL SEWING MACHINE

No sir. The Techsew 3650 is a bottom feed only machine that sews up to 7/16 inch. The Techsew you are looking for is the model 3850, a true compound feed machine (like the CB3200), but it is currently out of stock.

The Cobra model 26 is a medium duty compound feed walking foot machine. It has a large hook and can handle #207 thread top and bottom. It is still limited to the standard sewing height of 3/8 inch and uses standard walking foot needles.

Thanks, I saw they were out of the 3850. After a lot of thought, I think I am going with CB4500, because after you add a few options, not a ton more money. I was contacted by Solar, but got to wait until Monday to see what shipping will be. I am just confused about if I need any of the optional needle plates. I do leather as a hobby and made me a holster, now everyone wants one, I have been hand sewing and it's getting a bit much. Thanks for the help

You will want the plates if you start making cowboy holster rigs, IMO. If you are will just be sewing flat leather, not really. What really comes in Handy are the left/right presser feet. I use my Left foot for almost everything, so I can use my guide on the right sight and sew up close to the edge. While I do not use the Right foot often, I does come in handy to get into some tight spots.

6 hours ago, auzoo said:

Thanks, I saw they were out of the 3850. After a lot of thought, I think I am going with CB4500, because after you add a few options, not a ton more money. I was contacted by Solar, but got to wait until Monday to see what shipping will be. I am just confused about if I need any of the optional needle plates. I do leather as a hobby and made me a holster, now everyone wants one, I have been hand sewing and it's getting a bit much. Thanks for the help

You won't regret buying a 4500, over a 3200, or equivalent machine. The extra clearance it has allows for the use of high raised throat plates, like the holster and stirrup plates. They let you sew next to obstructions on the left side that would prevent normal sewing on a flat bed machine.

Ask the dealer to install a drop down edge guide. It is invaluable for sewing straight lines or going around inside curves.

I'm glad you mentioned that you had to wait to learn the shipping charges. Most folks don't know that shipping rates for large machines on pallets are not fixed. Different carriers and destinations affect the final shipping cost. Residential deliveries can be up to $100 more than shipping to truck terminals. The dealers have to look up the closest and lowest cost terminal (or add for a lift gate) before they can finalize your bill. Sometimes that involves phone calls. This is one reason that push button/shopping cart ordering is so difficult in the heavy sewing machine trade.

As for payment by PayPal that you asked me about earlier, this can be done by the dealer sending a PayPal money request or invoice to your email address that is listed with PayPal. The email has a Pay Now link to your PayPal account, with the amount filled in. It doesn't even require a PayPal Debit card.

I know some balk at recommending a particular supplier, but I do not.  Seems pretty harsh NOT to refer someone who has treated you well.  My vote:  CALL BOB.

Since no one will process, or ship, an order placed over the weekend, you may want to wait until Monday. As Wiz said, PayPal invoices can be created and sent by email by anyone, regardless of whether they have a click-through online shop. Depending on whether you live in the Midwest, or nearer the East coast or the West coast, shipping costs can vary quite a bit. I don't know about you, but possibly spending several hundred dollars extra in freight isn't something I would want to do, ever. In addition, a conversation with a competent dealer will help determine what accessories you may need, including products you may never have thought or heard of. 

Depending on your address and location shipping and if wanted, residental delivery needs clarified. This can entail extra for the delivery truck using a lift mechanisim made on their truck, vs you and a fork lift as some commercial companies have. Im just saying this tailgate lift is an extra. That all needs discussed so the location is a big deal.  All the dealers have this information easily managed and explainable, as your part. Far as machines their are many Winners of Leather work that have used and like their machines, one should keep these in high regard. 

Good day

Floyd

6 hours ago, JLSleather said:

I know some balk at recommending a particular supplier, but I do not.  Seems pretty harsh NOT to refer someone who has treated you well.  My vote:  CALL BOB.

I don't have any experience with other dealers, but Bob Kovar has never let me down. Ive bought accessories and machines from him.

10 hours ago, JLSleather said:

I do "3rd" this recommendation, as well- hadn't initially realized this post included a direct link. Bob will talk through your needs, and help determine the best accessories for you, rather than a predetermined "package". 

That said, make the best decision for you and your needs. If not Bob, depending on your geographic location, a dealer/ shop dedicated to selling and servicing sewing machines will offer far more valuable customer service in the long run than a generalist leather supplier. 

Everyone, thanks for the advice. Bob and Solar returned my email, waiting on a reply because both stated they would have to look it up when they get back to work. I did send the 1st request last week, but Bob said he had been sick and Solar said they at some festival. The only other choice I have found is through Springfield leather, but they may be the middle man for Cobra, but they advertise flat $150 shipping.

4 hours ago, auzoo said:

The only other choice I have found is through Springfield leather, but they may be the middle man for Cobra, but they advertise flat $150 shipping.

To quote from the Cobra Class 4P page on SLC:

"SLC Sewing Machines are shipped by freight. $150 flat rate shipping for business addresses."

Do you have a business address and a truck loading dock or a high lift fork lift?

Forget it. I just carted that machine and when I entered my Zip code, 48509, the shipping charge to be added was $286.00.

15 hours ago, auzoo said:

Everyone, thanks for the advice. Bob and Solar returned my email, waiting on a reply because both stated they would have to look it up when they get back to work. I did send the 1st request last week, but Bob said he had been sick and Solar said they at some festival. The only other choice I have found is through Springfield leather, but they may be the middle man for Cobra, but they advertise flat $150 shipping.

We're back now.  Trying to work through the 100+ phone calls on voice mail.  The comments about shipping above are accurate.  Shipping costs are very different depending on whether you live in a swamp, or in Alaska, or if you're going to a commercial location in a major metropolitan city(which is much cheaper).  It's less about weight and more about how far out in the boonies you are.   That's why Solar Leather Machines doesn't quote flat rate: for every 1 guy that gets a great deal, 4 people get hosed.  We'd rather take the time and find out the RIGHT answer.  

Btw, the festival was the Texas Renaissance Festival.  It's a huge festival with an enormous focus on leather goods.  Some friends of ours own a shop down there, and did about $20,000 in 2 days.   It's good business for leatherworkers, and if there's a lot of competition for holsters or horse tack in your area, you might check to see if there are any fairs near you.