stephaniebrown

Stamping Letters Straight

I've seen the use of some kind of jig to stamp letters straight, but what do you think this attached picture is? It looks like it takes individual type pieces and stamps it somehow. Any ever seen this and know how it works?

Thumb2.jpg

This looks like an engraving device that follows a template and engraves via the stylus located over on the right hand side.  Tandy does make a plastic jig that is used to hold individual letter stamps.

I haven't found the plastic jig to be all that helpful. I think it you really want them done right, you need something more like this: https://www.etsy.com/listing/568739153/20-off-26-english-letter-number-leather?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=leather stamp&ref=sr_gallery_25

That looks like a sturdy jig, but looks like it is limited to one size.  I never used the Tandy jig - I stamp using an arbor press and line the letters up - seems to work well for me!

I'll either eyeball the letters or I'll take a piece of 1/8" green painters tape and put it down where I want the letters. This works good for curved lines of letters

The item in the photo is an engraver's pantograph.

It uses engraved letter blocks. The engraver sets these up, a needle point on a set of arms follows the shape of the letter whilst an engraving tool a the other end is used on the subject. Adjustments can be made to make the engraved letters just about any size

32 minutes ago, fredk said:

The item in the photo is an engraver's pantograph.

So I'm not familiar with pantographs. Would they work on leather?

I have seen on this site, a couple of jigs to line-up stamps. One was made out of acrylic/Perspex or similar. I am sure it was adjustable to take any size stamps.

The second jig was made by one of the firefighters on this site. He used it to stamp letters on a curve. As far as I can remember, both worked really well.

1 hour ago, strathmoredesigns said:

So I'm not familiar with pantographs. Would they work on leather?

No. It uses either a powered engraver, something like a mini-drill, or a hand engraver which is just a pencil like tool with a harded point. Both just cut thin lines into the subject which is usually a metal trophy or metal/plastic plaque; it will only scratch leather, its no replacement for stamping

The pantograph itself is just a set of interlinked bars; used in art and design work, you can have one point following a drawing and the other will draw the same thing either same size, enlarged or even reduced. Sometimes they are sold as children's toys or basic art tools. Its handy to have one about tho as you can copy a line drawing at a different size for cutting etcetera into leather

Which reminds me; I've lost mine to #3 son, who borrowed it and never returned it. Time to buy a new one I think

If doing a curve copy the curve onto a piece of poster board, lay stamps on the outside side of curve mark where each letter lines up. Lay that template on your leather and stamp away. 

The firefighter that showed this showed it on a shield he was making. 

A piece of thick walled 1/2 inch by 1/2 inch angle iron, . . . laid at the top or the bottom of your line, . . . will suffice in most cases to keep you lined up.

Keep masking tape on it so no rust transfers (and don't even think aluminum, it's far worse), . . . or a piece of 1/2 inch flat stock maybe 2 inches wide.  

Put a mark on it on the edge of the piece so you can check it from time to time to make sure it is not slowly running out on you.

Cheap, and effective, . . . both ways.

May God bless,

Dwight