DocOwens

Doc Owens from upstate NY

Hello all,

Novice leatherworker who has been lurking on this site for about a month, and the info here has been indispensable. I learn something new every time I come here. Just started sheath making a month ago and can't wait to improve my skills with tips from the forums. Will try to attach some pics of recent projects. Have a great day and pound some leather!

wClh31sc-1386642011.jpg

YmRNINDC-1387192023.jpg

A few more pics....

w8eF5mFh-1387168750.jpg

3JHOe6qs-1387160187.jpg

Looks like you are off to a good start! I am just north of you - drive north until you hit the border, then take three steps back.

Dan

Thanks Dan,

I've been collecting vintage NY hunting knives for a while, and they looked naked without sheaths, lol. I knocked them out pretty quickly just to improve my skills, and see what worked, and what didn't. My main lesson learned....repetition improves outcome. 

Now I need to quit stalling and start using my swivel knife.... I know my first examples will be horrendous, and I'm not excited to waste perfectly good leather, but I know only practice will make it improve. Take care.

Greg

Another N' Yorker here :-). I'm a bit southeast of you, Herkimer area.

Nice work for your first projects!! Your edges are outstanding, IMHO.

If you don't want to waste "good" leather for practice, just use some of your scraps. You could also buy some bellies; they are pretty cheap. Of course, sooner or later you'll have to bite the bullet and go for a good chunk. Just keep it simple to start. When I started, I tried out some easy celtic patterns and flowers. Yeah, the first flower didn't look like one but I've gotten a bit better since. Like you said: Practice will make you better.

Have fun!

Black Dogg