Chayse

I couldn't resist......

First off, I need to stay off CL, LetGo, etc...this is becoming a sickness....and my better half agrees! So, the usually browsing of the previously listed sites over the morning cup of coffee found me calling an unknown person 2 hours away! Seems that he had a Singer 7-33 Centennial up for sale. At first, he was a bit standoff-ish but as we talked, it seemed we had a bit in common..sewing machines!

Long story short, I drove 2 hours to a farm to find an older gentleman on a tractor, carefully extracting the Singer from the barn, where he had used it to repair his horse tack for many years. It was a site to see this gentleman move that tractor with such precision. We all know these things weigh...well, ALOT! When it came into the light, it was a site to see...seemed to be in good shape, on the original Singer table w'motor. A quick check of the serial number yielded 1 November 1950, with 500 being made that year. It was also neat to see a Centennial Badge, as I had never seen one. We chatted and he gently placed the machine on my trailer with surgical precision. I paid the man his asking price of $400, strapped it down and the ride home was bitter sweet. 

Seemed as if he was 'cleaning house' as he was moving soon and was downsizing...that was 1 of a mere 50 machines he had..although in another building...3 deep and gently stacked 2 high in some cases. He said it was a hobby....well, we all will have an opinion when it comes to things like this....

I know that this machine is more than I needed for a couple projects but the price was right and I honestly just really 'wanted' it. Although I have had a few requests from fellow 4wd enthusiast to sew then up some recovery straps, well, now I have the tools to do so...to say the least.

I will say that he thought outside the box, in my opinion, when it came to the pedal....odd location but it worked for what he was doing. He also had adjusted the pedal to the point at full throw, the machine just slowly thumped along....I would guess at 60-100 spm. Given that the factory motor is rated at 1750 rpm, he had it adjusted to the point that it was manageable...without 'running away'. 

When I got home, I soon realized why he used a tractor and boom....that thing nearly gave me a hernia! Now...how to get it into the house........

Here are a few pics. I will clean it up, oil it, and make sure all is well before stitching the first piece.  

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

That is sweet!  Great story to go with it.  Thanks for sharing, look forward to seeing it cleaned up and in service!

YinTx

It is a spring loaded jump foot.Singer did make some 7 class with a driven foot but with the way the mechanism works it limits the foot lift..

Very nice pick up and great story!

Nice looking machine, never seen a stand made up like that, but like it and see the utility in it.  All parts are still available for the Singer 7-33 as well, and this machine is far from dead.

Great find! I've never seen one in person but have always been fascinated with their appearance.

That is really, really cool.... I can see why there was a "need". Good/ bad thing it looks like the machine's last owner (with the barn full if machines he will truly need to sell) in Florida, far, far away from me in Michigan, and my own "needs" for more cool stuff. 

- Elizabeth

Thanks to everyone and the kind words...I really couldn't pass it up! The table is original to the machine...I am still trying to decipher how to remove it to get underneath the machine to give a good cleaning and inspection. So far, in between installing over 600 sqft of flooring in my house, I have sat and just looked at this behemoth...wondering what friends I need to call to get this in my house! 

For the most part, it is operational and need to get a few more bobbins and the right size needles for what I need to sew. The needles are a 'similar' size to my Chandler 305-64..huge! I know the factory size might as well be made out of unobtanium, so I will just adjust the needle bar to the 7x3 or just modify a needle to work. I know I have read a few threads here on needles for this machine and what needs to be done. 

I am on the fence when it comes to stripping and repainting the machine...a resto-mod situation. I don't think I will ever get rid of this machine, so I guess I can do what I want, color wise, although probably not Singer Gray/silver or black! I am sure I will have an epiphany and manage to tick-off a few Singer purist. 

In between passing by the machine and my mill, it occurred to me that I may try to make a few different style presser feet for certain things..it would give me a reason to get on the mill and see what I can come up with....

I will update as things progress, although maybe slow, but will update none the less.

Edited by Chayse
Spelling errors

Pick a color that never would have passed standards or consistency.... purple, turquoise or green might be attractive, lol. I know those are my current top contenders in my own machine renovation, but I will probably change my mind 300 more times before spring, as I doubt I will try a repaint inside this winter (by then I hope to have @ least 2 machines ready for new color/topcoat). While I somewhat understand the "purists" standpoint, black was chosen mainly due to manufacturing and economic concerns, and if I am going to do all the reno work myself, I may as well choose a "pretty" color. 

- Elizabeth  

I´m a big a big fan of Silver / black - but I honestly would NOT repaint this particular machine. If the decal were worn off and paint badly chipped and if it had a lot of rust and gunk on it then I´d repaint it but for me the beauty is in its very nice and original condition (or do I get a wrong impression from the picture). I´t probably repaint he the worn area around the throat plate but nothing more.

I agree, doesn't look to me like it needs restoring paint-wise. Looks to me to be in pretty good condition (although the sight of that switch box made me cringe).

And yeah, nice machine, just wanting it is a good enough reason.

I was at my daughter's the other day for a bbq and something came up about sewing machines and I said I didn't need any more at the moment. My older daughter laughed and said "dad, I didn't think I'd ever hear you say that!" :rolleyes:

It should just be just sitting on the cast iron braces that bolt on the bottom and you could lift it right out of the table once you remove the belt.  That was how mine is setup.  I really like that smaller table yours is in. They clean up really nice, with the open head it reminds me of an old hot-rod.  I did repaint mine,  why not I never plan on selling it.  I was tempted to take it to the auto painters for a real paint job.   I would like to get the decal set for it some day so it will look close to original. 

5a09d62fcace4_Singer_7-31_Small.jpg.50c75d602e92cf6ea85a6cfd51b63a6b.jpg

One day I might find and original pedal treadle for it. 

SIL10-50-088a.thumb.jpg.dfcf336b23e23d9c4d59ee33ed10e098.jpg

Thanks for the info on removing the head @Yetibelle! The paint is..well...ok...and it looks as if it has been repainted in the past, in certain spots. There are plenty of chips and it is apparent it has seen some use over the years. I probably will never get rid of this machine, although large and used for a specific purpose, I may have to sit and just ponder on what to do with it. Although it looks simplistic in nature, I am a bit hesitant to disassemble the machine to paint it. If I decide to do it, I will take pictures and bag/label things so I can remember how this thing goes back to together!

But, in the grand scheme of things, it is on the back burner when it comes to 'projects', as there are a couple more important tasks that I need to complete before this one! So, in the meantime, it will get cleaned, oiled, and given a once over before I sew anything with this beast. Then, I am sure I will have to bribe some friends to help me move this machine into the house. My better half and oldest son now just roll their eyes at me when I back the trailer into the driveway...nothing that I buy seems t be light!