JeannieH

Binder attachment for cylinder bed

Hi. I am needing a raw edge binder attachment for my consew 227r cylinder machine. I've been looking on kwokhing.com. They have attachments for small cylinder and large cylinder  machines. I'm assuming I have a large cylinder machine. I can't decide if I need the khf26 or khf8A. Is anyone familiar with these attachments? The khf26 is a suspended attachment. Will I need to change any parts like the presser feet? Also, is there an affordable provider for these in the United States? Thanks!

Edited by JeannieH

Depends on how your machine is setup - (throat plate, feed dog, presser feet) Please post some pictures of your machine. I´m sure most sewing machine dealers can support you with binder attachments. F.I. check with Toledo Sewing Machines, OH or Keystome Sewing Machines, PA - both have a good reputation here and have a banner on top of this site

Hi, i think your machine is a small cylinder arm machine. here is a picture of a 227r.image.jpg1_zps7eon66cj.thumb.jpg.63d1a2f9d5068125fe4f985d1ffdd2a9.jpg

Ok so it's a small cylinder arm. I attached a pic of my machine. Jimi, where did you get your binder from?

IMG_2915.JPG

I think the first photo looks to have a plate designed already for an attachment. The diamond insignia may be known by others here. Its obvious a pro part.

I would say though some binders can be a bit time consuming to install even though a benefit in usage. Something to really ask about in my oppinion. 

Good day

Floyd

ps: an excellent topic 

Edited by brmax

Small and large are relative and depend on what you are actually referring to. On the KwokHing binder pages, they really mean large diameter vs. small diameter cylinder arms on machines. In that context, the Consew 227 and other vertical axis hook cylinder arm machines ( e.g. Singer 153W102, Juki 341, etc.) are considered large diameter, whereas most horizontal axis hook machines (e.g. Pfaff 335, Adler 69 etc.) are considered small diameter.

I have a KHF48C 3/4" binder and the only machine it really fits is my Singer 153W102. I don't have a Consew 227 to test fit. 

IMG_8024.jpg

The Consew 227  pictured earlier looks like it may only need a standard tape folder like the one shown below and a short inner binding foot to make it do binding work. 

_MG_1418.jpg

Edited by Uwe

Hi Jeannie, I'd also consider yours to be a large-cylinder machine. Keep in mind the thickness of the tape or ribbon or leather that you'll be using, the binder in Jimi's photo is what I'm used to using with thin, nylon ribbon and it wouldn't accept anything much thicker. 

The outer foot should be one-sided (only the left side) and the walking foot with the hole for the needle to pass through should be as short as possible. On my Pfaff 335 I've cut that foot off just behind the needle hole. You want to get the binder as close as possible to the needle without anything hitting. Feet as I've described will make it much easier for you to follow tight curves.

Have fun, Gary

Thank you guys for all the feedback! Uwe, kwokhing doesn't have that type of folder listed for the large cylinder. Only for small. I will try surfing the web some more to see what's out there for me. I'm tired of messing up my pockets for my handbags. The hand skiving is already time consuming...can't afford a skiving machine so if I can make life a little easier with a binding attachment, I'm all for it! 

According to the MJ Foley Catalog (requires Flash plug-in), the Singer 153W and Consew 227 generally accept the same parts. They have some special binding feed dogs and throat plates which may be of interest, and also a swivel arm for attaching tape folders. Which parts work with your existing customized parts is hard to tell. Most regular dealers can order these parts for you.

Based on the Foley catalog info, my KHF48C 3/4" kit may actually fit your machine, too. It's unused and available for $70 (send me a PM if interested.)  

Here are some screen shots from the MJ Foley catalog:

227 binding parts.jpg227 binder swing bracket.jpg

19 hours ago, JeannieH said:

Jimi, where did you get your binder from?

Sorry jeannie this is a picture i found on the net. i do not have this machine. 

I have this but I am in Australia

20171114_140711.jpg

That's a great idea @Darren Brosowski and a simple "hack" of sorts. Those Pfaff 335 binder brackets are on Ebay for $30 or less, certainly cheap enough to experiment with. 

hi. I bought a typical binder attachment and it seems to be just right..but the seller told me I didn't need a binder foot set. I think I do. Will just cutting off a regular inner foot close to the hole work?

IMG_3058.JPG

I have one other variation on Singer 111W  binding feet (part 13246 and 13249), just for reference. The inner foot on this is a little wider (and outer left toe is thinner) than on your standard foot . This provides a little more room for the binder to align the tape edge with the needle.

IMG_9486.JPG

Edited by Uwe

Thanks Uwe. I ordered a knurled binder foot set that looks like your first picture. Hopefully I will get everything figured out. My trial runs didn't go so well (haven't received the binder feet yet) with using my cork fabric. I will have to get maybe the right presser foot pressure set or something. The cork binding keep moving out of place. I'm sure it's a user error and I will get the hang of it. Thanks for all you guys input and advice as always!!

you probably have to push the material a bit into the binder attachment - especially in corners. When the binding tape moves out of place I would guess the binding attachment does not match the width of the binding tape.

Cork fabric sounds interesting - have to google that! :huh:

Ok that may be the problem.  I will try with leather.  I may have to do it very slowly with the cork fabric to be able to use it with the attachment.  Cork fabric is cool.   I haven't made a leather bag yet...weird because I started learning how to make bags and got the walking foot machine for the sole purpose of making leather bags lol.  I guess I didn't anticipate all the tools and money I would need.  So bit by bit I am getting the basics and hopefully I will have a leather bag to show soon...I will say it has been frustrating.  My biggest problem is knowing if I should skive the seams or not skive the seams of a bag to get a seam where the thread doesn't show when the seams are glued and pressed down....then pinched together on the outside (yep I do that and if I see thread I consider it not high qulity enough and I try again lol...  I am a perfectionist so its driving me crazy.  

Hello. I am in need of a 1inch or 25.4mm binder for my GY-335 cylinder bed sewing machine. I have looked for it on Amazon I can't seem to get it in the specification I need it. So I was thinking do I use a 26mm binder instead?...and will it work? Kindly assist.

Or Is there an online outlet I can get this specification from?

Many thanks.