SheltathaLore

Shoemaking video kickstarter!

The guy I learned to make shoes from (Jason Horvatter, from Laughing Crowe) is doing a kickstarter for an instructional video for non-lasted internal stitchdown boots, and I wanted to spread the word.  I have his turnshoe video, and it's really great, so I'd expect this one to also be pretty high quality.  I don't necessarily need it myself, but I'm definitely backing it, because it's a thing that ought to exist!  So I'm trying to spread the word.

For $20, you can download/stream the video, which is probably the most economical reward tier EDIT: this tier seems to be sold out (?), but for $30 you can stream/download both boot and turnshoe (although both I and Jason would be psyched if you wanted to back at a higher tier, of course).

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/villagevideo/make-your-own-foot-shaped-work-boots-instructional

Mods, if this is too advertise-y, feel free to take it down; I'm just really excited about this kickstarter and trying to spread the word so that it has a better chance of meeting its goals.

Edited by SheltathaLore

I also know Jason.  The videos he is producing are top notch.  If you are looking to make a simple set of boots I highly recommend this video.

Dang, I guess I missed it. I would love the turn shoe DVD.

Karina

1 hour ago, veedub3 said:

Dang, I guess I missed it. I would love the turn shoe DVD.

Karina

Go to Jason's website, the turn shoe DVD is available now.  He produced it a couple years ago.  The Boot DVD is the one he is currently making.  His site is : laughingcrowe.com

4 hours ago, electrathon said:

Go to Jason's website, the turn shoe DVD is available now.  He produced it a couple years ago.  The Boot DVD is the one he is currently making.  His site is : laughingcrowe.com

Just purchased, thanks for the link!

Karina

8 minutes ago, SheltathaLore said:

IT MADE THE GOAL! (Just barely. I'm glad I increased my pledge at the end.)

Thank you to everyone who backed it!!

Thanks to you for sharing the link. I backed it early on and watched with high hopes and crossed fingers. 

If I was close, I would take a class in a heart beat- but this is the next best thing.

@SheltathaLore so, now what? do you know how long until the dvd comes out?

thank you!

dam wish I would have saw this last month...I should order the turn shoes video download...but I would love to make my own boots!

I'm headed to Portland tomorrow after work.  I'm spending four days in Jason's Internal Stitch Down Boot class.  This will be my third class I've taken with him.  Each class was so worth the time and the money.  I'm so looking forward to the boot class and the DVD when it comes out in a few months.  I have no qualms what so ever recommending his classes and/or the DVDs.  I have the turn shoe DVD and it really is like taking his class.  He's a great down to earth teacher who has been sewing shoes together for a long time.

Another source for books is Walrusshoe.com.  They carry a few different books: Shoe & Boot Designing Manual,  Bespoke Shoemaking,  How to Make Ugg Boots, The Manual, and Last Designing & Making Manual.   The Last book is on my list of  books I want/need.  They also carry a few lasts.  I don't know anything about their lasts other than what the website says.

I have his turn shoe video...when I can justify right leather I want to make the turn shoes...probably next month.  I definitely will order the boot dvd

On ‎1‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 6:54 AM, Deryk said:

dam wish I would have saw this last month...I should order the turn shoes video download...but I would love to make my own boots!

Contact Jason, he will likely let you buy it at the deal.  He has been sending out updates as he gets more of the video work done.  Very professional for a small scale video. 

His classes are great too if anyone is interested.  His goal is simple shoemaking.

There maybe a light shining at the end of the tunnel.  The latest update from Calen on the Kickstarter site:

" We have preview versions of all 16 sections done! With english captions, sound mix, color correction, animations, music, and everything! It's just under 8 hours of finished video. They're all exported from Final Cut Pro and they're currently being transcoded to a web-stream friendly codec. It's been running for about 14 hours now, and probably has another 14 hours to go. Then we'll do one final quality check, make any changes, and the streaming version will be done! We will give everyone who pre-ordered the DVD access to the streaming version as soon as it is up. Next, we'll work on authoring the DVD and send those to print."

What do you mean by stitch down boot? Through the sole? Inside the uppers? I don’t know the lingo.

6 minutes ago, ScoobyNewbie said:

What do you mean by stitch down boot? Through the sole? Inside the uppers? I don’t know the lingo.

The upper is sewn together and then it's sewn to the sole.  A rubber, outer sole is glued on to the inner sole.   If you go to Jason's website, you can see the trailer he did for the instructional video.  You'll get a quick glimpse of the sole and the upper being sewn together.  Its was done as a nod to Twin Peaks.  http://laughingcrowe.com/       Its on the Shoemaking Classes home page. 

If you are interested in making shoes and can't make it out to Portland, there is shoemaking class in Chicago.  Its different, but it's closer to home than Portland.

Cool. Thank you.

My email inbox was stuffed with Black Friday deals, including one from Village Video, the guys that shot Jason's video.  If you were waffling about getting the video, now's the time to do it.

The email:

Get 40% off all streaming videos or DVDs through Monday

Use the promo code gratitude

Learn to understand the language of birds with Bird Language

Learn to make our own turnshoes

Learn to make a Rocket Mass Heater

It’s also the last few days to pre-order our boot making video for a discount! 

http://villagevideo.org/store