Skipndance

Looking for vintage "sun" border camouflage tool for restoration project

Hello all,

Looking for a rising (or setting) sun camouflage tool to match what is on this strap of this vintage sidesaddle.  The saddle could be anywhere from 80-120 years old.  The strap was broken and someone used nails to "repair" it.  The owner said she will only replace the whole strap if she can match the tooling exactly.  Otherwise, we trim, skive, overlap and stitch where the break is.  I haven't seen this particular tool before so am hoping someone in the community has.  If it's available, we would be ecstatic.

Thanks in advance!

Anita

Jacq's sidesaddle overgirth - close up.jpg

Jacq's sidesaddle overgirth.jpg

Jacq's sidesaddle overgirth - stupid repair back.jpg

Jacq's sidesaddle overgirth - stupid repair front 2.jpg

Jacq's sidesaddle overgirth - stupid repair front.jpg

Jacq's sidesaddle.jpg

Jacq's sidesaddle overgirth - top view.jpg

I own for lack of better words..a metric buttload of leather stamps. Been collecting for years and I have not seen that one before. I suspect looking at the impression that it was a handmade stamp. If no one else on here recognizes it I would suggest sending a picture to this gentleman  https://www.facebook.com/sergeyneskromniy 

His work is outstanding and so are his prices. Don't let his geographical location scare you. His turn around time is quick and he is a known quantity in the leather forums as someone who is trusted.

While you are at it, contact ROSSR on the forum.  He might just have what you need.  I have one that's really close, but the bottom edge of mine is flat.  BTW, I just finished restoring a 1900 Burkhard side-saddle (Trinidad, CO) and it is now in a local museum.  I used the stamp I just mentioned, as I had to replace the stirrup hood (we'd call it a tapadero now) and the fender.  I also had to rebuild the upper pommel, as it had been broken because this saddle was on the bottom of a stack of saddles which had been thrown (yep, literally) on top of it for years.  Good luck with yours.

Well i have to say I have a bunch of stamps as well but this one I dont have.   I would also guess its a one off.

Ross

Thanks cowboycolonel and Rossr  for the guidance.  For some reason I didn't get notification of your replies. I'll let my friend know what the thought is about it being one off and about the option of having the tool made.  It's good to have such a resource!

On 11/14/2017 at 3:55 PM, cowboycolonel said:

BTW, I just finished restoring a 1900 Burkhard side-saddle (Trinidad, CO) and it is now in a local museum.  I used the stamp I just mentioned, as I had to replace the stirrup hood (we'd call it a tapadero now) and the fender.  I also had to rebuild the upper pommel, as it had been broken because this saddle was on the bottom of a stack of saddles which had been thrown (yep, literally) on top of it for years.  Good luck with yours.

I can safely say we (my little sidesaddle fixing chat group) would all love to see pictures of it if you'd be willing to share!

Edited by Skipndance
merged two different comments with duplicate phrases

I have photos I will be glad to share, but they are too large to post on this forum.  If you will give me an email or another route to use, I will post some to you.  I am also working on another "English-style" side saddle right now.  Perhaps you are interested in that as well?  I am Santa Barbara-ish.

On 11/17/2017 at 8:25 AM, cowboycolonel said:

I have photos I will be glad to share, but they are too large to post on this forum.  If you will give me an email or another route to use, I will post some to you.  I am also working on another "English-style" side saddle right now.  Perhaps you are interested in that as well?  I am Santa Barbara-ish.

I would love to see the English as well!  I just pm'd you my email address.  As I mentioned, my mom was a saddle maker and specialized in sidesaddles.  I used to ride aside in my teens, have done clinics and seminars, manned booths and always get a little rush of excitement when I hear someone mention sidesaddles. I have a few nice ones that need work as well as a few that are going to be complete rebuilds.  I don't have a sidesaddle problem, I can stop collecting them any time I want. ;-)