After my first attempt at a bag I wanted to do one that my laptop would fit in and also wanted to experiment with longer straps and strap attachments on the top and the side. Also I wanted to have go with a wraparound gusset. Attaching the gusset was pretty difficult to do and I’m guessing I should maybe have used a larger radius curve on the corner or thinner leather or maybe both. I’ll give those a go with my next one.

This was also my first proper go at using an awl which was an interesting experience my stitching lines were not as straight as they usually are but I think it made it easier to put stitching holes in the gusset?

Advice and criticism welcomed.

uxJwP7h.jpg

TbV0G48.jpg

uDkFNql.jpg

3h1ldhy.jpg

QPyCNup.jpg

clLOQ4N.jpg

I believe you have the bag thing down. Very well done!

Thanks, going to make some pouches for my straight razors next I'm guessing they will be much quicker for me to do

Beautiful solid bag! Did you use a pattern or create your own? Also, may I ask what's weight is this leather? I always want to attempt something like this. Thank you for sharing!

Very well done! I’m curious as to how you crafted the flap. How did you finish the flesh side? 

1 hour ago, tzleather said:

Beautiful solid bag! Did you use a pattern or create your own? Also, may I ask what's weight is this leather? I always want to attempt something like this. Thank you for sharing!

Thanks, I didn't have a pattern for this one I just made it up as I went along. hardest part for me was the length of the gusset I was a about 3-4mm out when I glued it together so had to do a little trimming with a scalpel to get it to fit exactly. The front and back is about 2.5-2.8 mm which I believe is around 6-7 oz and the gusset is 1.8 - 2mm 4 - 5 oz

29 minutes ago, A6C5O7 said:

Very well done! I’m curious as to how you crafted the flap. How did you finish the flesh side? 

Do you mean the flap on the front pocket if so this is how I did it 

V6WuJge.jpg

if the main bag flap, it and the back are all one piece I just added a strip of leather on the inside to re-enforce the handle and strap d-rings. The flesh side was done with Tan Kote and smoothed with a blank credit card, I really should get a glass burnisher :)

That is a great looking bag.

Solid and beautiful.

Solid results. That's going to be a beast to lug around :)

I think you've managed to pull off the wraparound style pretty well. I know the leather tends to buck at the corner, making it easy to damage the leather with an awl when stitching. You've managed to smooth the corne area out nicely.

Nice clean work, great job !