Chayse

This is the last one, I really need to stop!

The story is eerily similar to how I found the Singer Class 7, so I will spare you the details. Long story short, had a second chance on a Pfaff 545-H4, since the last one was sold for a mere $25 more as I was driving to pick it up...not this time! Seller was a very nice gentleman who was unfortunately cleaning out his step father's garage after he passed. I jumped in the truck and headed 2 hours west to arrive at a very nice and quiet parcel tucked back into the woods. The seller explained that his father-in-law purchased this machine many years ago and used it to sew upholstery for a few friends and to recover the pews at his church. It had sat tucked back into the corner of the garage covered for many years. We pulled the machine out of it hiding place and I gave it a once over..it turned very smooth and the machine seemed like it had not been used very much, at least not abused like so many I see being advertised for upwards of $700+!!!

I told the man I would take it and happily continue to use it for whatever jobs comes it's way. I paid the man his asking price of $200 and he help me load it in the truck. I got home and just couldn't bear to look at the machine in it's current condition, so I sat down, opened a cold adult beverage and began to remove years of oil, dust, and dirt from it's exterior. Oh, I forgot to mention that in the drawer were about 10 bobbins and an assortment of new needles, none of which I have yet looked at, so will see what I need to pick up. I will just add it to my list of needles needed for the Singer 7.

Here are a few before and after shots, all told I maybe spent 45 minutes cleaning it. I will dig a bit deeper and clean a bit better when it comes time to oil it up and run some leather under the presser feet. Ah yes, presser feet..seems if I have a right & left set of piping feet, so will need to source the regular set of presser feet...will add that to my list. 

Before...

Before 1.jpg

Before 2.jpg

Before 3.jpg

Before 4.jpg

Cover.jpg

After...

After 1.jpg

After 2.jpg

After 3.jpg

After 4.jpg

Congratulations on a great find! Well worth the drive, I'd say. It's amazing how well the looks-like-rust oil residue cleans up with just a little TLC.

For actual rusty bits (like on the bobbin winder), I've had very good results with Evapo-Rust.  Just submerge the rusty parts for an hour or two and rinse/scrub with water, then dry off and buff a little. 

I have some presser feet for this machine. Kwok Hing makes very nice quality standard presser feet for the Pfaff 335/545/1245 series (Part No. KP1245W, $45)

_MG_1139 copy.jpg

The super-slim left-toe version is also useful (part No. KP-1245-R071, $49)

_MG_1562 copy.jpg

Edited by Uwe

This is not the last one. You know this. We all know this.

Man, what a bargain! It looks great after cleaning, definitely worth the drive. I bought a set of KH feet for my 335, very nicely made feet.

I think I need a machine sourcing agent, one who lives where it's nice and warm most of the year.... and I'll get a trailer. 'Cause you seem to have a knack for finding things I *need* as well (especially vintage machines that work sonewhat properly from the get-go). 

Great find. 

- Elizabeth

@Uwe, yep, Evapo-rust is a go to in my garage and have used it many times on name brand tools that I find at auctions and such. A benefit is that it is reusable! I will look into the presser feet when I get more time...semester is winding down and it is almost finals time! Thanks!

@R8R...I am afraid you are probably right but my current sewing machine space allocation is dwindling fast...especially adding the Singer 7 to the mix....I am slowly running out of room and don't think the better half can handle me purchasing another machine right now....but there is always..'later'....

@dikman..I couldn't pass it up, as I did just sell my Singer 111W155 to a friend at work that was in a pinch to sew up some replacement canvas for his boat. I did make him promise to give a first dibs when he was done and had no use for it anymore. But with the Pfaff in the 'stable' now, it will be hard to add it back given the capability of the 545!

@RhodesAveDesigns...if you are in the market and are looking, just let me know, as I usually start my day with a quick browsing of sites to see what  pops up! In this case, it was late when I saw the posting and shot a quick email...this time it just happened to pay off! More often then not, sellers think they can get top $$ for their worn out machines and I have seen many just get reduced when it doesn't sell. And I happen to live pretty close to Miami, which it seems, produces a plethora of decent machines when businesses close.

As of now, the 545 lies in waiting until I can get through finals and my 'project' just returned from paint...so there are a few things ahead of getting the 545 back into the game. If anyone is curious, the 'project' is a '95 full-size Ford Bronco that I have spent roughly a year rebuilding for a close friend of mine. I am hobbyist when it comes to welding and fabrication, mostly doing it for the enjoyment and stress relief. Although a certified welder, this truck tested me a few times as I live very close to the beach and the salt had taken it's toll on the truck. Looks as if it will pass for a daily driver and hope my friend is happy with the results. But this is about sewing machines, not trucks....but I may just have to jump on the mill to see what I create when it comes to presser feet for my different machines. Thanks for all the kind words!

V/r,

Chayse

Bronco.jpg

1 hour ago, Chayse said:

But this is about sewing machines, not trucks...

Well there is always the upholstery in the truck that could be customized, so you could make it about both!

Edited by R8R

@480volt..what you don't see on the other side of the Bronco is my 1946 Atlas TH54 metal lathe.....I tinker every now and then when I can find the time. Thanks!!

That is a nice machine .  H4 high lift,  ,CLMNPN   it has it all  c class, leather machine, safety clutch, 4 motion drop feed , 6mm max. stitch length.  If only it has the special 10mm stitch length!!

$200.00 bucks   a steal!!!!!

I am cleaning a PFAFF 145 at the moment so I can see how much work went into that baby!!

Many machines fit in the same hole so you can always keep heads on a shelf LOL

On 11/15/2017 at 11:23 PM, Uwe said:

Congratulations on a great find! Well worth the drive, I'd say. It's amazing how well the looks-like-rust oil residue cleans up with just a little TLC.

For actual rusty bits (like on the bobbin winder), I've had very good results with Evapo-Rust.  Just submerge the rusty parts for an hour or two and rinse/scrub with water, then dry off and buff a little. 

I have some presser feet for this machine. Kwok Hing makes very nice quality standard presser feet for the Pfaff 335/545/1245 series (Part No. KP1245W, $45)

_MG_1139 copy.jpg

The super-slim left-toe version is also useful (part No. KP-1245-R071, $49)

_MG_1562 copy.jpg

Do you have or know of any good split toe feet for a Juki 1541, I bought after market ones but they are really slim.  I want to find a split toe that has the same foot print as the Juki center presser foot that it comes with.

7 hours ago, AdamPCain said:

I want to find a split toe that has the same foot print as the Juki center presser foot that it comes with.

This really belongs in a different topic, but short of making your own slotted feet with a Dremel, the closest ready made product I've come across is this 13246 Presser foot + 13249 Feeding foot set available from Kwok Hing:

Screen Shot 2018-04-14 at 10.42.10 AM.jpg

Edited by Uwe

@Uwe Thanks   @Chayse it cleaned up nicely old machines were just built to last.