Simeon54

CHRISTINA bag, recently finished.

1 minute ago, Sheilajeanne said:

Hidepounder says gum trag prevents dye and edge coat from penetrating the edge, so he uses glycerine saddle soap instead and follows with a final coat of paraffin after dyeing. The gum trag could be what's causing the problem. And yeah, I am finding the same thing about the leather quality. Now working on my second bag, which is a much better quality leather than the first, and the edges burnish super easily with just a little rubbing!

If you do use gum trag, it should be after you have dyed the edge.
But to be honest, I now only use water to burnish an edge. I'm about to experiment with a professional edge paint from Italy, a brand called Giardini. This will look much more like the edges you see on top end hand bags I think and I'm aiming for that as I'm selling pieces in the range of €800 to €1200 each, so got to look super finished.

Doesn't hurt to experiment! But here is Hidepounder's method (Bob Parks). He makes some VERRRY nice stuff!

1 hour ago, Sheilajeanne said:

Doesn't hurt to experiment! But here is Hidepounder's method (Bob Parks). He makes some VERRRY nice stuff!

Thanks, I'll check it out!

Very nice work, and at least one Norfolk person is proud of your work

15 hours ago, chrisash said:

Very nice work, and at least one Norfolk person is proud of your work

Many thanks. Can I ask how you know I'm from Norfolk? My location is set to Arnhem. Curious.

On 11/16/2017 at 11:44 AM, Simeon54 said:

Thanks Wedgetail, feel free to pass my details over to them. You can see more on my Instagram account: Simeon Morris Design. I see you're in Ipswich. Although I live in Arnhem now, I hail from Norwich. :-)

And thanks JD62. This leather came pre-dyed. I'm trying to move away from hand dying as it takes up so much time!

Simeon I think your post gave it away:lol::lol::lol:

7 hours ago, chrisash said:

Simeon I think your post gave it away:lol::lol::lol:

Haha, I didn't remember writing that. :-)