tomsmith85717

Thread snips /nippers/ snippers...

So I have used several kinds of thread snips( or what ever you want to call them) I have noticed that when cutting the heavier threads they get dull quick. I currently have some supper cheap stamped metal ones that are just mangling the thread instead of cutting them. Tried resharpening them but that hasnt been going well. My questions are: 1 What is the preferred name for this device. 2 Any recommendations on brands or styles to look at. 3 Advice on sharpening them. I need some wisdom about these tools and don't want to spend years of my own time to gain it so give me what you got in that department.

We have some that have hardened blades on them that seem to last a long time for$2.00 ea.Or $20.00 a Dz.we have a lot of repeat customers on them too.

They are called Nippers. I  use the cheap ones but extend their sharp time with a few well placed strokea to the bevel and the flata with a piece of Arkansas Hard stone that broke off many years ago.

I have a pair of Gingher thread snips that I bought on Amazon after getting tired of other methods. Kind of expensive for what they do, around $20, but it is something I use constantly. It's comfortable and secure in the hand and I don't have to use my brain to get a perfect cut. Should be easy to hone, if it ever dulls. 

It might be too thick to get in and cut below flush, though. 

I have a handy surgical stainless steel scalpel handle, with a box of new blades. 

Just have to be careful with it, not to cut the thread ends too short, or I may risk cutting through the near stitches. 

You could also burn off them loose ends, with a torch-lighter as well.

Run the overstitch wheel across them stitches after, a couple of times, and it's all good.

Chas

I have a thread burner, it is awesome. You cant thread the needle if you use a thread burner.

I use a set of Fiskars shears designed to cut up herbs these are sharp, and have  hardened resharpenable blades

51ZhXxTZz9L._SL1500_.jpg

Edited by Colt W Knight

Options -

Get some good quality stitch nippers

Use a scalpel or craft knife with disposable blades

Get a wood carving knife with a suitably shaped blade. You will need to sharpen this now and again

I think my current plan is to see if I get a pair of marx or ginghers for christmas...  If I do and I like them I will keep them, if not to ebay they will go. I will report back either way. I have $2 snips and $10 snips... I can see where  about 3 of the extra dollars goes but not 7... I just dont want to spend $30+ only tho think I would have been better off to buy a dozen $2 snips.