WoodsHollowLeather

Good deal? Cowboy CB 29 18” arm

There is a Cowboy CB29 for sale for $1,000 locally. I really don’t NEED it, but I think it could come in handy on certain projects that are awkward to do on a flatbed. 

I don’t know much about these machines. Is $1k a good deal? I see these retail new for $2,300. I went to look at it and put a few pieces through the machine. The bobbin tension was off a bit and the hand wheel wasn’t turning that smoothly. Owner has little experience with the machine and neither do I. I currently have a Cobra class 4 and a Consew 226. My comfort level with machines is growing. 

Would any of you pick this up if it was located 10 minutes from you? What projects have you used and really liked the patcher machines for? 

C20FBF0B-B6D1-42E2-9E05-6CFFFD0C4A34.jpeg

Well, if it works then $1,000 is a good deal compared a new one at $2,300 right? It may still be worth $1,000 five years from now if you take care of it. Having access to a machine like that for five years for free is a good deal, most people would agree.

It's really one of many copies of the Singer 29K class of machines, not sure exactly which sub-class, likely a 29K72 or something like that. Do a general (or LW specific) search for "Singer 29K" and you'll be overwhelmed with demos, opinions and testimonials about that class of machine. You will find almost nothing for "Cowboy 29", because for every Cowboy 29, there are hundreds if not thousands of Singer 29K machines out there. 

Tired old Singer 29K originals can be found less than $1,000, but that doesn't means those machines are a better deal.

I think its a great deal if you need a patcher. If not, it is an expensive toy being as you already have some really nice leather stitchers. 

7 hours ago, Uwe said:

Well, if it works then $1,000 is a good deal compared a new one at $2,300 right? It may still be worth $1,000 five years from now if you take care of it. Having access to a machine like that for five years for free is a good deal, most people would agree.

It's really one of many copies of the Singer 29K class of machines, not sure exactly which sub-class, likely a 29K72 or something like that. Do a general (or LW specific) search for "Singer 29K" and you'll be overwhelmed with demos, opinions and testimonials about that class of machine. You will find almost nothing for "Cowboy 29", because for every Cowboy 29, there are hundreds if not thousands of Singer 29K machines out there. 

Tired old Singer 29K originals can be found less than $1,000, but that doesn't means those machines are a better deal.

7 hours ago, Colt W Knight said:

I think its a great deal if you need a patcher. If not, it is an expensive toy being as you already have some really nice leather stitchers. 

Both excellent points. It’s like Christmas when I find local items relating to leatherwork. Hard to pass up!

16 hours ago, WoodsHollowLeather said:

There is a Cowboy CB29 for sale for $1,000 locally. I really don’t NEED it, but I think it could come in handy on certain projects that are awkward to do on a flatbed. 

I don’t know much about these machines. Is $1k a good deal? I see these retail new for $2,300. I went to look at it and put a few pieces through the machine. The bobbin tension was off a bit and the hand wheel wasn’t turning that smoothly. Owner has little experience with the machine and neither do I. I currently have a Cobra class 4 and a Consew 226. My comfort level with machines is growing. 

Would any of you pick this up if it was located 10 minutes from you? What projects have you used and really liked the patcher machines for? 

C20FBF0B-B6D1-42E2-9E05-6CFFFD0C4A34.jpeg

IT looks like there is some sort of drive and may be a reduction motor on it. Probably a bargain. Take the belt off and try the handwheel again and if it then turns freely I'd say its likely a good buy. Fantastic if you want to sew patches on or get down into tight areas.  Brian

The new Cowboy servos have a brake built in, so it wouldn't surprise me if you wouldn't need to push the pedal some to release the brake to make turning the crank easy

Take the belt off and see if it turns smoothly. If so, buy it! You can do things with a patcher that you can't do with any other machine. I have 2 of them and I'll be buried with them.

On 11/20/2017 at 2:50 PM, Uwe said:

It may still be worth $1,000 five years from now if you take care of it. Having access to a machine like that for five years for free is a good deal, most people would agree.

Very well said.