benhuck

Tooling question for deep solid lines

Hi guys,

I'm relatively new to leatherwork, and brand new to the forum, so I hope someone can help! I've only played around with a few belts until now, with modest success, but I stumbled upon a BEAUTIFUL guitar strap made by singer Johnny Fritz and I was hoping to do something similar. I have attached a picture.

In particular, I noticed some linework that doesn't seem to be done with the usual beveler/backgrounder. I'm referring to the arrows near the middle, or the 3 little { shaped marks above the word Ezra. Even the letters of the name Ezra appear to be done by hand. It may well be that I'm just too inexperienced to know it, but I can't imagine doing this with the standard set of tools I have. It seems like it's more of an outline, an even trench tooled into the leather. The arrows, for example, don't appear to be raised or lowered, but simply flush with the surface of the leather, and the outline is uniformly indented. Any idea how this is achieved? 

Lastly, the colour on the letters is very clear, is that just painted on after antiquing?

I hope someone can help! Thanks in advance.

Ben Huckleberry,

Adelaide, Australia.

margostrap.thumb.jpg.0aa6df28bf62e7c08d8960e711f37c06.jpg

Thanks matts, I have a couple of veiners, and I can see how a specific shape could do the { markings, but surely the straight lines on the arrow shafts aren't veiners? If so, I'd love to know how!

Thanks

The straight lines and "EZRA" as well as the heart look like they were hand cut with a swivel knife. Same for the arrows.

As for the colors...there is more than one way to skin that cat. I would use a paint like Angelus brand leather paints on the lettering first. Then use a resist over the lettering and then antique or dye.

Thanks for the help guys, you may be right. If it helps, I found a better example from his website. I love how it forms such a neat outline. Is he just cutting a 'V' into the leather?

5a1644109ac47_ScreenShot2017-11-23at2_10_24pm.png.0466b4580b509390d5d6fefab9d2f346.png2.jpg.9cb2ce910b46a246402005ffb825d228.jpg3.thumb.jpg.5b6f2b3ec168ba4749d9e78209bb7953.jpg

Thanks guys! Just need to work on my cutting technique. Much appreciated.

First a Lucinda strap, now Margo Price! This forum is on point!