ByNelson

Makers mark stamp

I’m looking for a makers stamp, but where to get it in Europe? I would like a stamp in metal not plastic... do you guys know? 

The company I used in the past has, sadly, closed.  They did supply fully-mounted stamps.  I did find one other UK supplier but they charged far too much.

I have ended up using http://www.leprevo.co.uk/embossing.htm several times.  The drawback is that you have to cut out and mount the stamps yourself.  The positive aspects are that I have found them to be quick, reliable, easy to deal with and very reasonably priced.

There may be other European users on here who can help.

Gary

There's a a place called Hex N Hit there website is-http://hexnhitstamps.com/ they are in Thailand, I bought my custom stamp from them and it is amazing I got the stamp a metal handle that screws in plus the electric heated handle basically its a wood burner that attaches to the stamp to heat it. If you go to youtube and go to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3JDQzETO-g he shows his stamp from them its about halfway through when he shows it.

http://leatherworker.net/forum/profile/10555-arbalet12/
He makes stamps..his work is superb..he makes custom stamps..probably makes maker stamps ( ask him )..he is in Europe..Bulgaria..
email is
snleatherbg@gmail.com

I have no connection with him, but I do appreciate superb work..
HTH :)

@tearghost- How much was the set you got?

13 hours ago, tearghost said:

There's a a place called Hex N Hit there website is-http://hexnhitstamps.com/ they are in Thailand, I bought my custom stamp from them and it is amazing I got the stamp a metal handle that screws in plus the electric heated handle basically its a wood burner that attaches to the stamp to heat it. If you go to youtube and go to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3JDQzETO-g he shows his stamp from them its about halfway through when he shows it.

Can you please show a picture of your stamp :) 

On 24/11/2017 at 4:59 PM, gary said:

The company I used in the past has, sadly, closed.  They did supply fully-mounted stamps.  I did find one other UK supplier but they charged far too much.

I have ended up using http://www.leprevo.co.uk/embossing.htm several times.  The drawback is that you have to cut out and mount the stamps yourself.  The positive aspects are that I have found them to be quick, reliable, easy to deal with and very reasonably priced.

There may be other European users on here who can help.

Gary

Hey @gary, i see on the leprovo website, they say you can stick a stamp to a block of metal and use it with a hammer. i was just wondering have you ever done this? and would it work for a makers mark do you think?

thanks,

s

13 hours ago, SonderingSusan said:

Hey @gary, i see on the leprovo website, they say you can stick a stamp to a block of metal and use it with a hammer. i was just wondering have you ever done this? and would it work for a makers mark do you think?

I have had stamps made by Le Prevo; the main down side is the price. You get a minimum of 20 square inches [4x5, go a mil over this and you are into another sq inch!!] of design area to cover for a cost of about £80. Thus if you just want a couple of small stamps they are still £80. Another down side is the stamps/embossing patterns are photo-etched into magnesium metal; this means that every line is angled outwards towards the base. The deeper you make the impression in your leather the wider the lines become. I find the impressions are not as sharp as they could be, or as I like them to be

The brass stamps made by certain Chinese sellers can be better value.

Several of the Chinese brass stamp makers I've used have disappeared, one has been on extended holiday since February 12th - that must have been some CNY party! But another player is on the block, their prices are very slightly more than the previous makers. I'll be ordering my next stamp from them

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Custom-Made-Design-Your-Logo-Leather-Seal-Wood-Stamp-Branding-Iron-Carving-Mold/382286790022?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=651096957963&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

thanks a million @fredk, I'm either going to go with your recommendation or hexnhit. i will let you know how it works out ! thanks for explaining about le provo - there really isn't much info on their website so thats really helpfull!

Since posting the above I reckoned I should explain Le Prevo's embossing stamps a bit more. Base price is £50.80 for up to 20 sq inches. To that price add delivery of approx £10 plus VAT [Europe] or your local import tax; it adds up to £73 in my case. I kept a number of designs inside the 4 x 5 inch size but the photo-etcher chap said it was bigger by a couple of millimeters on each side, so he added in 2.5 square inches, which cost me an extra £8 or so. I ended up paying £87 for my plate.

As I said, the lines have a beveled side. They make decent impressions but they cannot hold antique stain; it wipes right out. I reckon an embossing stamp needs a sharp straight side. The brass ones are cut using machine tools, have good straight sides on the lines and surprisingly they can do very fine lines, finer than the photo-etch of the Le Prevo product

I would think the future of makers stamps lie in 3D printers.  My real job is a freelance commercial photographer and have shot for this company for a few years now.  They offer on demand prototyping using your files and printing on their machines.  They can print using different materials, some softer or harder than others and as well as at different resolutions as in the quality of the printing.

But I'm just a photographer and such I may know just a teeny tiny bit of knowledge on the subject.  You'd have to figure out yourself how to go about preparing a file and figuring out what sort of material you would need.

This is the company I shot for but there are others out there that might be closer to where you live.

https://www.3dsystems.com/on-demand-manufacturing

On 11/24/2017 at 10:45 AM, ByNelson said:

I’m looking for a makers stamp, but where to get it in Europe? I would like a stamp in metal not plastic... do you guys know? 

I would contact a letterpress printer in Denmark and ask where to get magnesium plates made. Those who make letterpress plates sometimes also make plates for heat embossing, such as foil stamping on any medium. Dies made from these plates are better than lasered Delrin and can be used cold with an arbor press or clamps. If you're making your mark with a mallet, you can mount your die on the end of a piece of scrap steel with whatever the Danish equivalent of JB Weld is.

Magnesium is just fine.  Cooper isn't necessarily better. Brass is Ideal because it's more difficult to damage, which is just a fact of life, but expensive.

Plates are priced by area, so putting all your art on one plate and cutting the dies out with a bandsaw makes them very cost effective (several dollars apiece vs. the huge amounts people are paying for "custom stamps" made exactly the same way).

Order at least 1/4" deep raised wrong--reading unmounted (in other words not "type high" since you're not using it on a letterpress).

I'm certain there is at least one company near you who can make these. 

Susan,  Sorry it took me a while to reply but we moved house and the internet connection only went live today.

Le Prevo stamps have proven fine for what I have needed; nothing that required fine lines or great detail. Fredk is right about really deep impressions not being crisp at the edges but I have only found this a problem once with a font. Now the smallest font I use with their plates is 12pt though you can get away with smaller if you choose a clearer font. Le Prevo have always been very helpful and, a couple of times, have phoned to point out problems (once was size and once was layout) and allowed me to send in amendments as I was speaking to them which saved me paying for a larger plate than I needed.

Most of my stamps are 2.5cm x 2.5cm or smaller and a couple of smaller ones have been mounted on bolts for use with a hammer. The others I  have mounted in dies where they need to be placed repeatedly and I use a vice to imprint them. I mostly use bridle leather and the impressions are great 95% of the time. I haven't used russet much and I seldom use dyes so can't say much about that.

Hope that helps.

Gary

Hello

just wanted to update this thread 

I ended up getting my makers mark from Buckeye Engraving, what helpful people they are... and I just love the quality of my three stamps... below I attached a picture of my practice pad ... I will be using this company again in the future, I just couldn’t be happier  :)

A02293BF-1B94-4B5E-8083-5A4E45146866.jpeg

21 hours ago, ByNelson said:

Hello

just wanted to update this thread 

I ended up getting my makers mark from Buckeye Engraving, what helpful people they are... and I just love the quality of my three stamps... below I attached a picture of my practice pad ... I will be using this company again in the future, I just couldn’t be happier  :)

How much did they charge you for your stamps?