I just heard about Chahin Leather.

Has anyone used this veg tanned leather ?

Some people say it is as good as Hermann Oak.

Tanned in Mexico.

Looked at a video on, how the leather is tanned, and they tan it the old way,

like Hermann Oak does.

Yes I've used some over the past few years, in part to get colors that weren't available in other leathers, and in part just to test it out.  My opinion, it doesn't even come close to performing as well as either H.O. or W & C.  To me, if price was the deciding factor, there is no way that it would be worth the savings.  The sides I've received were very poor yielding, and I have a feeing that if after 5 or 10 years of moderate use, compared to H.O., you would really be able to tell the difference in durability.  Most everything I make is for equine use, so it has the potential to receive heavy outdoor use and abuse.  Maybe under less strenuous applications, it wouldn't make any difference.  My main gripes though would be poor yield and poor molding ability.  I do have to admit however, the stuff I got did tool up pretty decent.

2 hours ago, Big Sioux Saddlery said:

Yes I've used some over the past few years, in part to get colors that weren't available in other leathers, and in part just to test it out.  My opinion, it doesn't even come close to performing as well as either H.O. or W & C.  To me, if price was the deciding factor, there is no way that it would be worth the savings.  The sides I've received were very poor yielding, and I have a feeing that if after 5 or 10 years of moderate use, compared to H.O., you would really be able to tell the difference in durability.  Most everything I make is for equine use, so it has the potential to receive heavy outdoor use and abuse.  Maybe under less strenuous applications, it wouldn't make any difference.  My main gripes though would be poor yield and poor molding ability.  I do have to admit however, the stuff I got did tool up pretty decent.

Thanks for your input ! Price isn't much less than Hermann Oak.

So I guess it isn't worth it .

I'll second Big Sioux. There latigo is fair if your not too picky on the thickness being accurate. I always order 9 ounce. Sometimes its 11-12 oz and sometimes its 7-9.  My opinion of their veg tan is that I won't use it. I've used no name veg from Hide house for half the price that was better. H.O. and W & C are much better.

We sell Chahin leather.  If you are referring to the english bridle, and comparing it to HO or WC, it is a very different leather than those.  It contains much more stuffing (greases, waxes, tallows) than either of those options.  It is not made to form or wet mold...it will not perform well in that function because of the stuffing.  But as far as long term durability, due to the stuffing it will hold up very well to rugged outdoor use.  It is also not finished with any top coat from the tannery, that is up to the user.  The Chahin latigo is a nice leather as well...again, completely different than HO and WC.  It is a true latigo being a chrome veg retan, whereas HO is straight veg.  Again, that will allow it to hold up exceptionally well in rugged use than a straight veg tannage.  Any specific questions shoot me a PM I would be glad to try and help you out or send you a cutting.  

Edited to add-All of the Chahin Leather we sell is North American Jumbo Steer Hides, no imported hides.  

Edited by Weaver Leather Supply

I use a bunch of their extra heavy harness & love it. Sometimes thickness can be a little inconsistent however that's been true of others harness also but it is quality leather. Their veg tan has always been good quality IMO. And yes I agree with Weaver Leather Supply the latigo is true latigo.